hf1

Worried about dehydration

My avatar
mrstiggywiddle
Clothie
Clothie

Worried about dehydration

Postby mrstiggywiddle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Bill is a happy bouncy babbling little 10.5 month old boy (born at 24 weeks). Since coming home from hospital he's been sniffy about bottles, taking them on and off. Since the hot weather he's gone off bottles again, preferring to use them as a teething toy. I've never had a full milk supply and he's been supplemented with formula since 5 months old so I can't rely on the breastfeeding (which he does very well) to keep him hydrated. His poos are v solid (sorry!). I've been mixing EBM/formula with baby rice just so I know he gets a certain amount even if it means increased intake of carbs. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? Thanks, Claire

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Worried about dehydration

Postby ems101 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm

No experience sorry. I was wondering if he was eating solids? Fruit high in water might help. Ice chips or lollies but maybe hes a bit young for those! Hows his fontenel (sp?)? I think it might be worth a call to your hv if you are concerned xx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 pm

As long as he's taking in some fluids he should be ok. Does he have wet nappies? Will he drink water from a cup at all? Plenty of fruit should help with his poo too. My smallest eats so much fruit so never has solid poo :lol:

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 pm

If you're really worried, pop him in the bath and give him a sponge or flannel to suck. Works everytime for us ;)
Also, ice pops or ellas fruit pouches are great for something that will definitely go down.

My avatar
mrstiggywiddle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mrstiggywiddle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Very reassuring and helpful advice there, thank you. Bath plus sponge is a good one - he does tend to suck on those now! Should I be worried about his low intake of milk specifically? I'll try going heavier on the fruit, which he loves. Thank you so much for your prompt replies! Claire

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:07 pm

How much would you say he's drinking? Can you compare that to the guideline amount?

Some babies will guzzle gallons of milk, others are not so fussed. So long as he has wet nappies he should be ok. May be worth mentioning to your h/v if you are still concerned.

Is he happy in himself?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 am

If he has plenty of wet nappies and seems well in himself I wouldn't be too worried. As the others have said, try him on some foods with high water content - melon and grapes are a good bet - they will boost his hydration and help with poos.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:41 am

I asked my babys docotr this exact question at the same age, we live in houston so its super hot and I was worried about Lola not drinking much. She said babies are not capable of dehydrating themselves so as long as water is avaiable they will drink it and drink as much as they need.

So as everyone else has said, lots of fruits like melon, try apple juice and water in a cup, wet cloths etc.

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning