hf1

Ante-natal expressing of colostrum.

My avatar
clarabel3
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Ante-natal expressing of colostrum.

Postby clarabel3 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:22 pm

hi. just to add a bit of info that may be useful for UK based mums to be, the local baby café where I work provides info and support for antenatal expression for women with risk pregnancies.
to find your local baby café try online, they are a drop in service
http://www.thebabycafe.org/
or look for a local lactation consultant
http://www.lcgb.org/

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:03 am

Wow, thanks @clarabel3.
There's one about 10 miles up the taffs trail. Looks like cycle day out for me and baby's one both fit and well :)

@clothmama, thanks again for all the info :D
I had a long chat with foetal medicine MW yesterday during cuppa and my trace, who was amazing and very supportive. Expressing not recommended until term if preterm labour a risk, however if I start leaking again (best get scoffing!) then to catch milk in shells and freeze. I was leaking loads before I was poorly, so hoping to gain weight again enough for this. I can feel milk coming back in one side, so presumably if I keep eating and recovering all will be good. The sooner I can get flu/WC jabs done the better :)
Slightly off topic, but She has also discussed that unless baby requires resus, I will be given about an hour to try to feed before they tube, as even at 34 w a stronger baby may have suck and swallow. Will also be allowed this time as prolonged skin to skin, delayed clamping, natural second stage etc so long as medical needs allow. Feel much better as I think one of my biggest fears was losing control; having a preemie on CLU would mean baby being whisked away and sterilised in a box the second he arrived!
Thanks again, will keep reading for tips.
Good luck with your expression mission, Tori x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 am

@cuppachaplz sounds like a really really good appointment with your MW :widesmile: Sometimes prems can be great little feeders and the 36/37 weekers can be the little so and so's who won't feed!

I just got nearly 0.2ml :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: first time there is enough to actually bother collecting! I'll have another go tonight and see if I can add to it! :bf: :yahoo: :pregnant:

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 am

That's fab @clothmama; you'll soon be racking up the ice cubes! Go you :bf: xx :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thanks for all the support. My breasts have definitely refilled now, and I'm starting to get some leakage again, so have both the shells. It seems daft collecting such tiny volumes, but I guess I have to start somewhere.
It's so weird, but collecting makes me very aware of the milk that's there, so I feel on the edge of letdown all the time; it's hard for exist the urge to express, although I fully understand why. I guess this means that would LO arrive early or poorly enough to require expressed milk, maybe I won't have too many problems?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:05 pm

So just to update - I've had the odd day that I've missed entirely or just done one session. I've been collecting over 24 hours per syringe. They have been gradually increasing from my smallest frozen one having about 0.3ml to yesterdays which went in the freezer with 1.1ml :yahoo: :bf: I wanted to ramp it up as of today as I'm now 38 weeks and start doing a few times a day but ended up busy / out all day! I did one session this evening and got about 0.8ml in one go which I was :yahoo: until I squirted 0.3 all over me :lol: :doh: will be interesting to see what I end up with in this coming 24 hours, especially if I can manage a few times tomorrow!

:widesmile: I'm just happy I'm getting something and hopefully it will be enough to cover whatever I may need!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 am

:x :x :x grrrrrrr just did 10-15 minutes each side and got hardly anything (0.3ml total from both sides) - mind you I don't think I'm drinking enough :oops: I just don't get how it can vary so much from one day to the next :-?

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Reviving thus thread as it seems daft to start a new one.
Starting today as advised (36w)
2 sessions, collected 0.8 ml from each.
Anyone with experience, how often can one do this daily?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:54 am

Awesome for your first go :yahoo: :bf: Tamsin! I was only getting that at the end! I'm sure it made such a difference though, I had my milk coming in by the end of the second day, and considering I had the double whammy for higher risk of delayed Lactogenisus II with the GDM and the CS that is pretty impressive!

I think twice a day until after 38 then every 4 hours if you want after then, that is what my Lactation Consultant at work told me and she was sending an email but unfortunately I can't access my work account as I was in an alphabetic group that had their passwords reset! Must get onto that and call them! I'll pass on any other info when I can get it!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks @clothmama.
They helpfully said, 'as often as you want' :-?

Can't find my mojo this morning, need to get up to clinic do will try again later.

They have told me downs babies are hypotonic and lazy feeders so anything I have ready is usefull. When I had j, I had too much of milk. I remember having to express about 100ml from each side before he could even attempt to feed on day 3 (aka mahoosive mam day), which was binned...
Hoping for a similar explosion once baby arrives, but get the feeling I wouldn't be do lucky...

Thanks again for all the help :D :cnthug:

Previous

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning