Allergy advice

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Allergy advice

Postby clothsister » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

hi all,

I have a lovely friend who's dd is 2 weeks older than Penny and has some serious allergies (wheat,soya,dairy and egg) Holly (my friend) has been told to slowly introduce some foods to see how Amelie reacts BUT Amelie is currently suffering from constipation. Holly had originally been given lactulose for this and the first time she took it she was fine. However second time around it made her violently sick. Does anyone know if a baby with these allergies can take movicol? Her GP is being particularly unhelpful and isn't offering much help.

Also does anyone know what the paracetamol product is that doesn't contain dairy at all as Amelie also reacts to calpol.

@girlinleeds my friend Holly is really struggling. Was wondering if you had any words of advice?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Allergy advice

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Is she under an allergy consultant and dietician?? If not the gp needs to refer her.
pharmacist is the best person to check with about drugs, they can look at different brands and stuff, our gp is pants but pips allergy nurse is fab.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 pm

She's under an allergy consultant and does get a lot of support as she's breastfeeding and they have been helping with her diet too. X

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:06 am

Hi, Do you know if her lo reacts to foods with projectile vomiting or is it more of an immediate allergy? Sounds a lot like my son.

We use paracetamol suppositories for J as he is allergic to ingredients made from corn which are found in all baby syrups. They are called alvedon and you can get them on prescription, they are very pricey though. I tend to order my own online to save the nhs paying £20 for 8! The ones I buy are here http://www.farmaline.co.uk/health/order ... ositories/ they come in different sizes dependant on weight. They also have the advantage that babies can't spit them out so you know they have had there full dose.

There is more info about my sons type of allergy here http://www.fpiesuk.org we have a fab facebook support group too x

with regards to the constipation i'm sure some of the mums on our facebook group have been given glycerin suppositories, i think. http://www.medicinesforchildren.org.uk/ ... stipation/

My avatar
Jenny2312
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jenny2312 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 pm

hi I have only just joined and spotted your post. I have 2 little people with milk allergies. my eldest had multiple allergies as a baby. Both also suffer with severe reflux.

paediatric movical can be used my daughter has had it from a young age. its likely the gp would prescribe 1/2 or 1/4 or a sachet to start with lo being so young. I've found the best way to give this kind of dose is to mix with 4oz of water then disguard 2oz for half or 3oz for 1/4.

The best paracetamol for allergy suffers is tesco own brand one or one made by orbis they are exactly the same.
Last edited by clothmama on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal details

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks all, have passed all the information on! I'm trying to get her to join us here. As we are all so lovely xx

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning