hf1

Sour milk

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Sour milk

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I have been expressing since Percy was born. For the first few weeks, he was unable to feed effectively, so this was the only way to breastfeed.
Now he feels like a trooper, however very reluctant to take the bottle unless he's hungry
(we have been trying to keep this up for return to work and leaving him with DH etc)
I have been continuing to stock the freezer for a few reasons
1) for return to work
2) in case of any hospital stays (warned this is a possibility with his potential health issues)
3) I need to express in the evenings anyway to keep my supply up as he sleeps really well, and the BF counsellors told me to express at least once if not twice during the night
4) I figured if nothing else I can always make him porridge with it later...
I now have a whole drawer full in the freezer...

A friend was telling me that her milk was sour, and that she had to throw it all away :(
I'm now worried that I have a vast amount of utterly useless milk, and am not not nearly as organised as I thought. I used frozen milk with Jacob, but he was a gutsy pig, whereas Percy is already fussy about bottle feeding.
Scalding seems such a massive faff to be doing 2-3 times daily just to freeze; is really necessary? Does it work? Is there anything I can do to check my milk?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Sour milk

Postby clothsister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

It totally depends I had sour milk when I froze it with Chloe but with Penny it's fine. It's apparantly a high level of lipase in the milk. Defrost one now and smell it/see if Percy will drink it. If yours does have the excess enzyme lipase it will smell like sour milk. There is a way of reducing the enzyme, which is to 'scorch' the milk before you freeze. But you might be fine x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:06 am

Wow I'd never even heard of this :-? Did you test it @cuppachaplz ?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:07 pm

It's apparantly fairly common @clothmama we were told about it on our course. I never understood why Chloe hated my breastmilk when it had been frozen and eventually I tested it and it was vile. Wasn't until I joined all my breastfeeding groups that I actually found out about the lipase enzyme.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:59 am

Percy drank one from the freezer a little while back, so assume it was fine, but I was speaking to someone yesterday who said some of her milk was fine and some wasn't, so I guess there's no real way of telling.
I have a vast stock of freezer milk and need to get my thesis written... Yikes!
Percy currently on bottle strike now anyway :-?

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning