Weaning to solids (again!) help!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Weaning to solids (again!) help!

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 am

We started Rémy on solids at 6 months, mix of BLW (this was the plan but he led us to not wanting it - happy to eat a stick of veg etc but wanted us to hold it :blw: and then gets cross after a while and squeals until you give him some extra food on a spoon!) and mashed food. So he has been eating a month and a week and is doing really well but I don't feel like I've progressed in what I'm giving him, he is mainly having sweet potato / carrot / potato / broccoli and fruit -- mainly puree. Breakfast I give him porridge sweetened with apple puree, he has also had a weetabix. Have also done a few sandwiches - avacado, cream cheese and this week started pasta (tiny ones) with cream cheese. I just feel like that is only about 4 different things and like I should be starting to give more but not sure what.

Ideas, recipes and advice welcome!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Weaning to solids (again!) help!

Postby ems101 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

Sounds samey but you're getting lots of different food groups and colours in.

Lumps of cooked meat to gum on? Vegi muffin? Mashed potato, soup - minestrone is good and easy

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

I didn't puree anything but did give some things on a spoon as mum couldn't get her head round BLW so insisted on spoon feeding when she had her :roll: The combination of approaches worked well for Juliet.

Sometimes, instead of porridge I give her oatbran just so she gets a different texture. I often add just a pinch of chia seeds so there's a bit of protein there too. I get them cheep from Costco though, I think they can be quite pricey in normal shops!

How about scrambled eggs? J took a while to take to them but loves it now. Good easy texture and can have on spoon or pick up with hands.

Yoghurt was and still is a hit. I'm not sure what's available in France but Rachel's first steps yoghurt are great as no added sugar, just yogurt and fruit (I was amazed how many kids / baby ones had extra sugar, thickeners etc in :shock: ). I also get plain yogurt and blitz fruit with it sometimes, particularly good if things are going a bit soft and over ripe :wink:

Have you tried banana? Probably a silly question but it's really soft and easy to eat. I used to break off a piece about length of my finger then gently squeeze it and it separates into thirds which are perfect baby mouth width.

In this hot weather the inside section of cucumber might be a hit cos it's juicy and refreshing (not that I like it but bubs certainly does :giggle: ). If Remy doesn't like things solid you could probably squish the middle bit down for him?

Fusilli pasta works well I've found as she can get easy grip on it / stays on fork easily and then just bites off what she can. I make very simple sauces with tinned tomatoes. Have been known to blitz some left over veg from night before into the tomato sauce too. Grated cheese on top goes down a treat too.

She's always liked beans and pulses, things like kidney beans, butter beans etc. Easy to get hold of or could squish them into more of pulp if Remy prefers things mashed. Good bit of protein that way too.

If you're happy to give fish I'd give that a go too. J loved it instantly and it just broke apart in her mouth. To begin with she actually had fish fingers with the bread crumbs taken off (mums idea and it worked a treat).

I'm certainly no culenary genius so I'm sure whatever recipes you come up with would be better than mine but I found most things were worth a try :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:12 pm

ems101 wrote:Sounds samey but you're getting lots of different food groups and colours in.

Lumps of cooked meat to gum on? Vegi muffin? Mashed potato, soup - minestrone is good and easy

i think the whole meat thing is what I'm sturuggling with, when to introduce all that but guess I should be now! I might make him some little mini baby meatballs that he (or me :hohoho: ) can hold and eat. Muffins are a great idea too actually thanks @ems101 :) He has mashed potato.

Dancing mum wrote:If Remy doesn't like things solid

Oh he is fine with things being solid and I'm only mashing stuff a bit not puree'ing it he just wants us to hold the solid foods for him :blw: :hohoho: He is getting slightly better now though, but we are happy with a bit of a mix really!

Yep tried banana.
Scrambled eggs are a good idea, might do those for tea for him, did think of them the other day then forgot!
Beans great idea, need to get some, although have lentils and chickpeas which are great too, I could make baby veggie burgers :)
I got some white fish yesterday was just trying to decide what to do with it!
I tend to use natural yogurt or pettite suisse and mix in pure fruit puree or banana. I have started to give him the odd tube if I need something when we are out and about!

Eek just found this ages later! Made a baby friendly tomato pasta sauce which he had for dinner and I've got loads in the freezer :yahoo: Need to just make a few more things like that and get a stash of baby food in the freezer as I wont' use jar stuf fit makes me :puke: :giggle:

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:35 am

At that age my boys both loved roasted veg. I would do a big tray of squash/pumpkin, aubergine, courgette/marrow, tomatoes and freeze them into portions. They ate it either blitzed as pasta/rice/couscous sauce or in lumps just as it came if I felt strong enough to deal with the mess :giggle: I know you said Remy was teething are watermelons in season yet where you are? I used to freeze chunks for the boys to chew on and the loved it in fact Tom still prefers it to lollies now :lol:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:03 am

Pancakes? Breadsticks? Rice cakes? Cucumber ? Home made wedges/pizza? Chicken strips?
I just gave small portions of whatever we had, unless it was totally unsuitable, so not very helpful!

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:51 am

Lentil dahl?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:26 am

PixieFix wrote:Lentil dahl?

Yummy!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 am

I have noticed that if you make food and then offer it they get picky. However if you make yourself food and sit next to them they want it and will steal it :hohoho:

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning