hf1

What foods can i give from 6 months? (first tastes)

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What foods can i give from 6 months? (first tastes)

Postby LynniferT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 am

We tried T with porridge a while back and he was unimpressed so haven't tried anything else as thought he wasnt ready.

Anyway, I mashed some banana this morning and he loved it. So what other foods can i give? I have small fromage frais yoghurts... Can he have one of those from 6 months or is it later?

Veggies i can do but want some no cook food ideas that i can mash (not doing blw)

Can he have weetabix? Everything has changed since having DD and she was so different from T anyway.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: What foods can i give from 6 months? (first tastes)

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:57 am

From 6 months they can eat pretty much anything (it is 4-6 where it is really limited), no honey though! Rémy liked avacado, fromage frais (natural or I'd add some sugar free apple puree but tried to give him more of the natural to avoid always wanting stuff sweet), bananna, bits of toast (I think doing BLW or not finger foods are important right from the time they start (form 6 months obviously) - helps with all sorts of developmental things). The only bought food I always had in was fruit puree wiht no added sugar, it is cheaper than doing it myself! We really only did fruit, veg and yogurt to start with. He also liked/s tiny pastas that I'd mix with a Laughing cow cheese (easy to have in baby portions in the freezer, just freeze the pata with a little butter mixed in in portions then mix the cheese in when you are reheating). I added finally chopped ham to this too as he got a bit older. Not sure what else no cook though other than fruit, avacado and cheese! Can't remember when I started giving him little avacado or peanut butter (as long as you have no allergies in the family) sandwiches - maybe 7 months? I had a whole load of portions of baby curry / couscous / veggies I did in muffin tins or baking sheet froze so they were easy to bag up and label and just grab and heat, saved so much time and meant food was ready in 30- seconds in the microwave!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:10 am

I'll have to dig around and see if i still have my baby recipe book.

I know i should do blw and the only reason I'm not keen straight away is because i worry about choking. I know its stupid but im on my own a lot with the kids and i'd panic if anything happened. (I'll be ok once he has enough teeth)

I think i got shop bought pouches of fruit with DD as i was easier when out and about so i'll grab some of those next week. (They do special spoons that twist on the pouches now :) )

Will try some yoghurt next :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Cucumber sticks, pear wedge, peanut butter on toast, roast pasnip or sweet potato, broccoli

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:51 pm

With izzy we did mix of whole food and mashed which was fab. her faves were banana, avocado and sweet potato.

Leon was accidentally given sweet potato wedges by his well meaning sister at 4 months !!

You can give them anything except honey. I would say fruit and veg is best just because it gives them loads of different textures and tastes from the start xx

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:45 pm

I was pretty much the same as the others initially with avocado and banana being an instant hit. Fairly early on (but can't remember exactly when) we gave her a bit of fish too as it just crumbles down easily and I imagine would be easy to mix in and mash with some veg too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:05 pm

How's he going @LynniferT ?

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:23 pm

clothmama wrote:How's he going @LynniferT ?

Well i'm just giving him breakfast at the moment, he has had banana, weetabix, fromage frais and a fruit/rice purée so far.

He does like carrot and butternut squash soup too as he was eyeing up my lunch last week so gave him some... He got rather cross when it ran out :doh:

Wondering when to introduce another meal, whether lunch or tea? But i have to prepare some mashed veg first and i need at least 3 extra hours in the day at the moment to get anything done :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:12 pm

We went straight to 2 meals and then 3 within a week, I think they really need it after 6 months, particularly for the iron, it isnt' like the slow go I did with Josh when I started at 4-5 months where he worked up to 3 by 6 months!

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning