hf1

Dummy for breastfed newborn

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Dummy for breastfed newborn

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 pm

I know they aren't recommended but I used one with Ben and his feeding was fine, my daughter didn't take one.
I just wondered which dummy is best for a newborn that's breastfed, a lot of them seem quite big

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Dummy for breastfed newborn

Postby ems101 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:11 pm

I think they are recommended now, at least if you read the SIDS advice they are!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Now this is where my english gets Challenged :giggle: is a dummy like a pacifier?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:Now this is where my english gets Challenged :giggle: is a dummy like a pacifier?

:giggle: yep! I think the Americans have some other strange word for it too!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Here it's called a gazarzar, pronounced ga-zar-zar :hohoho:
Sorry that's not helpful I know. The nicu nurses tried to get Sam to have one to develop his suck reflex but he was having none of it. I think it was a Num??? But I'm going back nearly 10 years so everything has probably changed.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:27 pm

smilinglou wrote:I know they aren't recommended but I used one with Ben and his feeding was fine, my daughter didn't take one.
I just wondered which dummy is best for a newborn that's breastfed, a lot of them seem quite big

Sorry I didn't answer your question :doh: In terms of breastfeeding, as a midwife, we recommend not introducing a dummy for the first 6 weeks as they can be wasting energy / feeding cues etc on the dummy rather than sucking on you and increasing supply. However saying that both professionally and personally I think some babies do need them (and as with Emmas have a very good reason to use them) and I had some with me for Rémy to take to the hospital. I spoke to some of the other MWs to see what they recommended and the answers were pretty mixed - some like the 'cherry' style ones as they say it is easier for them to feel and attach to. I ended up going with a kind of 1/2 cherry shape one in clear silicon, I think they were Avent ones. Rémy was too sick in the early days for it to be an issue but we did use one for a good few months, he kind of just stopped at around 6 months. The other 2 wouldn't have anything plastic anywhere near their mouths :hohoho:

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning