hf1

Stoping overnight breast feeding but not day / evening?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Stoping overnight breast feeding but not day / evening?

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Has anyone had success in stopping feeding at night? After what was potentially the worst ever night last night (well up there as one of anyway!) I'm seriously considering trying to refuse overnight milk, offering cuddles and water instead. I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I think we will all be happier if we can get some sleep :night:

What do you all think?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Stoping overnight breast feeding but not day / evening?

Postby ems101 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Yes. We did this with all. Desperate times! I started to refuse to feed gently, and offer water or cuddles. If they were more persistent, rob took over. This seemed to be the key, that they could accept his comfort but struggled with me without feeding. Again it was a short phase, but worth it.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Agree with Emily on the Daddy take over part - that was what worked here.
Hang in its hard but it is so worth is when your past it and get better sleep :yahoo:
Did so with Ditte when she was about 16 month and she has slept really good ever since - only a few bad nights :thumbsup:
Before that she slept almost on me :bf: her way through the night :zombie: and I was back working at that point - don't really know how I survived :hohoho:

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:05 am

Same here really, DH went in so milk was not an option.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 am

We tried it last night as dh was still awake but I'd just gone to sleep and he happily took the water then went hysterical to get to me. I think him still being in the same room is not helping and makes it hard to do it with dh as he'll always see me in bed near him so will have to see if I can find the courage to do it myself! Better night last night, just 12 and 4 :yahoo:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 am

That's great you had a better night. Rib used to take the babies downstairs if they were too noisy upstairs. Guess that might work if he doesn't have a room of his own. Might you/joel also be waking him up in the night? I don't know if separate rooms are a possibility?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am

Very tricky sharing a room, I know if we go to check Isaac he stirs, I think he's a very light sleeper and we have a creaky floor board :roll:
If you can't have a separate room can you somehow have a screen or something inbetween you. My BIL lifes in a barn and not enough bedrooms for kids so their 3 year old has been in with them but ( due to square room with a kind of dog leg) they've managed to put a kind of divide so he can't see them.
Do you have the no cry sleep solution book? That might help formulate a plan. Is he feeding to sleep?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Yes we did, ill have to look back at old posts x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:46 am

I think the room thing is definately an issue - unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it at the moment :( (although Louis desperate to have him with him - so could potentially try that in the holidays). We need to split the big boys room (it is huge 30 m2) properly as they only have the wardrobes acting as dividers atm and the big need their own space so can't really have them sharing long term (they'll have to while we work on their rooms). We can then get a 4th bedroom in over the entry which at the moment is a 2 story area but again a wall needs to come down downstairs (in my kitchen!) and beams / rafters and the floor sorted!! Nothing is simple in this house!
confusinglady wrote:If you can't have a separate room can you somehow have a screen or something inbetween you.

Actually there is potentially an option of putting up a wall between us - where he is is actually going to be our bathroom and our room just a smaller room (they are split level as it is) so we could put up a wall which could make a big difference. I might ask dh how difficult it would be - maybe we could all move downstairs so we had time to do it before mum comes...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (but then we are so desperate for a bath :bath: that it would be too tempting to get that installed once the wall was up :giggle: :giggle: - the cot and the bath tub should both fit though :hohoho: )

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning