My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Feeding and sleeping advice needed.

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 am

Oh no :( bummer I'm sorry @Bugglyboo :cnthug:

I was thinking about the warm thing too - it is a huge problem for these little ones and you are right it takes a large amount of energy to keep warm. how warm is your house? What are you dressing her in? She will need more that a bigger baby.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 am

Our house is 20°c. I dread to think what our heating bill will be. I dress her in a vest, sleepsuit and cardi or equivalent. She is rarely without a pure wool blanket though so she's never chilly apart from when I change her.
In the last week she has managed to keep her hands and feet pink instead of purple and that's when she started gaining weight well. I think she wasn't quite ready to face the realities of the outside world and really needed a couple more weeks inside ;)

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:16 am

The poor girl is now overtired and can't sleep.

@clothmama, what's more detrimental, less sleep + extra feed but less happy or more sleep, one less feed but happy and content?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Bugglyboo wrote:The poor girl is now overtired and can't sleep.

@clothmama, what's more detrimental, less sleep + extra feed but less happy or more sleep, one less feed but happy and content?

Oh poor darling :( . I don't know what to answer to that really. She is so tiny and my gut feeling is that it is too long to go without a feed in the night. On the other hand she is feeding really well in the day so is certainly getting a decent number of feeds per 24 hour period.You said she 'sometimes' wakes naturally, and guessing then she is fine and not upset by it, how often is that per week say? How long is each feed? How many wet / poo nappies is she having each day?
Bugglyboo wrote:I dress her in a vest, sleepsuit and cardi or equivalent. She is rarely without a pure wool blanket though so she's never chilly apart from when I change her.
Does she have a sleeping bag as well? I'd maybe dress her in a bit more. Rémy was a similar size and I was dressing him in a vest and sleepsuit plus a light blanket in the middle of summer (in Oz!) as he was also struggling to keep warm when he was that little. I guess you are probably following the guidelines but small babies need more layers than bigger babies.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Are you co sleeping ? If so I would just carry on as you were, would she latch on half asleep maybe ? I know the advice is 8-12 feeds a day and plenty of wet and poop nappies. With the fact she is so happy and content I would go with it. Babies are all so different and whilst it is "normal" for then to wake often there are plenty that don't xx

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 pm

She has extra clothes and blanket at night.

All her nappies are soaked and often leaking or on the verge of leaking. I change her every feed or if she's fussy. She's poo'd twice today. She seems to have got into a pattern of holding it for a couple of days then letting it all go ;)

She is dinky but she's following the percentile, all be it the bottom one.

@littlesez, we are cosleeping. She's a slow waker and doesn't really function well until she's properly awake (very similar to her mummy). She's the same after her day sleeps.
She doesn't seem to mind waking and feeding if she has woken naturally but she hates being woken (day or night) and struggles to feed etc.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Children! They are all so different. I feel like a first timer again :giggle:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Honestly, I feel she is very safe next to you and she will wake when she needs to feed. Im not a healthcare professional so I might be completely wrong! She sounds so content xx

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 am

Well Lizzie slept through again but has woken up bright as a button and is having a wonderful feed.

I think I'm just going to follow her lead. We can visably see her putting weight on and filling out her wrinkles every day so she's definitely going in the right direction.

PreviousNext

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning