hf1

Breastfeeding with teeth.

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Breastfeeding with teeth.

Postby BekkiLB » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:11 pm

It's been going perfectly till this last week when her top 2 teeth came an and now, oh the pain :cry: both nipples are red and have tooth shaped dents and a purple bruise like mark at the tips straight after feeding. Clara isnt biting me, more like teeth scraping... I've been told to take it back to basics with the latch which is helping a little during the day but at night she generally just pulls my top down and latches on herself which sends me through the roof (I now have to wear a bra in bed for my own protection.) and the more I unlatch her to try correct (both day and night) the more frantic she gets and tried to grab my boob which results in a worse and worse latch. I would say I'm really close to quitting but I honestly have no idea how I'd stop her and besides I don't want to stop since I've already got this far! Will this stop soon? Would nipple shields help?

Someone save my nips!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Breastfeeding with teeth.

Postby clothmama » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 pm

It does get easier I promise! When they have new teeth they don't quite know what to do with them and honestly it will settle even though it is uncomfortable while that is happening! I found yelling 'ow' did help and saying 'no that hurts mummy' - you'd be surprised how much she will understand. Also if you do try to re-latch her or get her off go back to newborn stuff and actually put your finger in her mouth and break the seal / get her off your nipple!

I'm so pleased for you both that you have got this far :bf: :yahoo: :yahoo: - you are doing awesome and this will pass! :hug: @BekkiLB

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:43 pm

I've been tempted to throw the towel in so many times but she loves it and I just couldn't refuse her! When I get home from work and pick her up she just daintily taps my chest and it's just the cutest thing ever! I'll try telling her it hurts, hopefully she will understand and help me out!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:07 am

Remind me how old your little one is ? Its been a ling time since I was here but I do remember having to work on latch again. I remember getting both kids calm before feeding helped. Eg. Calm soft words about how they were going to have some milk and encouraging deep breaths, and a nice wide mouth. The scraping occured when they would latch on with a shallow latch xx

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 am

@littlesez she will be one a week on Sunday. Yes I think her latch might be shallow, it's very difficult when she's quite independent to manipulate us both into the right position. It is a little better now that the middle of the feed is just uncomfortable rather than painful but I have open cuts now. I've tried telling her she's hurting me and being as calm as possible but she keeps getting upset that I'm unlatching her even when I tell her she can have milk but we both need to be comfortable. I think she doesn't understand :(

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning