hf1

Sore nipples... do they really toughen up?

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Sore nipples... do they really toughen up?

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Hey all,

I had awful sore nipples last week before the mastitis, and they ended up cracked and bleeding. They healed up when I stopped feeding, but when I started again so did they although I'm sure it was to do with the pumping. They're still sore now, but there's no bleeding or cracks, and when Rory is on he's getting loads of milk so I don't think our positioning is too far off... I've spoken to a few people over the last few days, and they've all talked about what the lady on the ABM's helpline called the 'toe curling' stage - before their nipples toughened up and got used to being fed from. Is this the case?

Sarah
x

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Sore nipples... do they really toughen up?

Postby beffys » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I remember it being like that. Can't remember how long it lasted, maybe 4-6 weeks or something. I used to take turns from one side or the other and that seemed to help. Then once it got better and went away I switched to just the one side as that worked loads better for us. I think if you have no cracking and bleeding you're doing well and getting there. I remember them still being sore at first though once they healed up properly and just used lots of lanolin and some of those gel pads you can put under hot water and then use. (I'm working on your blanket Sarah btw so will be with you this week. Doing another at the same time and lots of dyeing in between.).

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:54 pm

i remember having very sore painful nipples, yes they defiantly toughen up! may take time to heal though, i had sore nipples for around 9weeks than suddenly the pain was gone! i also didnt have alister positiond right for the first few weeks which made them worse :roll:

I jsut smothered my nipples in lansioh seemed to help

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I would second the lansinoh, I had sore-ish nipples but used that from early on and they didn't stay sore for long

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:31 pm

laniosh too its fab we had sore nipples blisters at one point :cry: this really helps and they will stop hurting, make sure your positioning is ok in the begining i always had to sit for feeds as any lazy positions :giggle: i couldn't always get the right position well honey couldn't and it hurt we can do it many ways now and i know straight away if its wrong as it hurts!
good luck and well done for keeping at it :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm

I had sore nipples for about 4 to 6 weeks but we could never get our latch right despite seeing 3 lactation consultants and in the end i just stuck it out until he got bigger and he seemed to latch better himself.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:10 pm

I found I had sore nipples when Oz latched on but once he was actually sucking the pain would ease and them stop for the rest of the feed. If after a couple of weeks it's painful for the entire feed I would try and get someone to look at your latch again. Better to be safe than sorry.

I also agree than lansinoh is a brilliant product - so is fresh air though so if you can spend some time bra/top free that'll help your nipples.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:47 pm

I personally think it's not exactly that your nipples 'toughen up' but you get used the sensation plus as you both learn more the latch gets easier eventually especially once baby learns more and just latches on in a flash - Grace would latch on in any position now including me doing a headstand over her :hohoho: but in the early days there was only one position I could get a proper latch on...
I went through toe curling pain a bit and lansinoh was my saviour too!

Erm sorry to say but bra-free top-free nekkid time is a good way to help them heal... :giggle: And not having clothing rubbing on them while they're sensitive helps too...

Cammilosan is quite good too as it is very soothing...

Make sure you change your breastpads regularly too...

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 pm

i had really sore nipples breast feeding mr T, he'd latch on fine then sort of slip and mainly nipple feed which at times was agony. i even thought how i wished i'd packed a big bit of wood to bear down on during feeds when i was in hospital with him! i think it's def worth speaking to a bf'ing councillor about checking ur latching properly, as often u can think all is ok when it might not quite be.

it's worth doing even if u do it for a peek at the crochet boobie! :giggle:

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning