hf1

BLW - Ideas & recipies please

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

BLW - Ideas & recipies please

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 pm

My little man is almost 6mths and we'll start weaning then if he's ready. Suggestions please for recipies etc? TIA :)

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: BLW - Ideas & recipies please

Postby simlou » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:51 pm

We're also getting to that stage hun, although I'm getting a little upset that my family are forever going on at me to try Ewan on baby rice. My sister even said I was cruel on Sunday for not having given him some pureed stuff yet, it really uspet me but they don't seem to understand me holding off until 6 months and they certainly don't get BLW :( .

There's a whole post on the subject here

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=79

and I've been looking at this site.

http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog ... 02145.html

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

hi , we got on really well in the beginning with cold cucumber sticks and humous - lovely for teething too, had to make my own humous though as all the shop bought ones seems to have salt added (apart from waitrose new organic humous) , fin also loved spaghetti and steak (medium rare to get loads of iron in him as he hes still breastfeeding)
cant remember now but i think theres a thread already on here somewhere deicated to blw so youll get loads of ideas there. french toast or eggy bread also good i found and cheese on toast always went down well as did avocado and roasted sweet potato chunks. enjoy the mess :twisted:

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

:hug: I got alot of negativity from family when I did BLW with my daughter, ppl said she was ready at 4mths and "ur uncle was already on purrees by 3 mths" :roll: U have to do what u feel is best hun, u're los mummy and u know the right thing. Logi has been waking again since 3mths and this time no-one had dared mention to me to wean him because they know it's pointless. I head of mums putting rusks in bottle and I presonally think it is disgusting behaviour, so that the baby will sleep thru. Its known that 4mths is a massive growth spurt & develpmental curve, hence the waking and needing more milk - but thats what they should have milk.
Thx for the link hun, will check it out. My brain is a little fuzzy as weaning DD seems like such a long time ago now :giggle:

ETA, the children only eat fish & very rarely chicken :)

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for the :hug: hun, I know I'm doing the right thing but it still makes me :cry: that my family don't understand.

Hope your weaning goes well :D Let me know what seems to go down well at your end and I'll do the same.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 pm

From memory melon, cheese spread on toast, cheese cubes & rosted veggies all went down well with DD. I'll definately let u know of others that little man likes when we start.

Oh and have only just noticed a BLW section - :roll: to distrurbed sleep lol

My avatar
Twinmamma
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Twinmamma » Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

My two are 8 months and we have been BLW for 2 months now. Pear was and still is a firm favourite with the boys as are rice cakes which are great when we're out and about. Roasted vegetables were brilliant when we started - carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips - roasted veg are much firmer than boiled as they don't turn to mush when little one picks them up. I also put roasted veg left overs in the fridge and gave them cold the next day. Brocolli trees were also great - leave a good stalk on them so they can be held easily. Pitta bread with dairylea inside, infact anything with dairylea in or on it :giggle: Cucumber is a staple and has been since the start as is banana which I cut into sticks to make it easier to hold. Weetabix - dry (yuk!) seems to go down well for breakfast but be quick to clean it off anything it touches as it turns to concrete very quickly!
Now, my two will eat almost anything I put in front of them, they are true food hoovers :giggle: tonight it was pasta and sauce, last night chicken and salad. Tom dives in and nibbles everything as fast as he can but Max is more methodical and likes to take one thing at a time and continue with it until it's all gone. Textures in their hands can be really interesting and sometimes they drop something simply because of the way it feels. Perseverance is the key, I often have to give them something for several meals before they will consider putting it near their mouths.
Good luck and enjoy, it's messy but great fun and I love seeing them eat like we do :D

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 pm

All three of mine have been BLWed! Almost any fruit in finger pieces. Veg sticks, lightly steamed is good. Broccoli and cauliflower florets go down well. Rice cakes, bread sticks, toast, cheese fingers, pasta swirls. Mine have all loved hummous spread on toast. Cream cheese ditto! Aiden had some veg purees spread on toast, and ate them! Soup spread on bread. Homemade pizza! Esme ate a snail whilst in the garden (DH's input)!
In fact almost anything goes! I just look carefully at the lack of sugar and salt and go from there! Don't worry about how much they eat/don''t eat, have a large pile of flannels to hand and atowel under the high chair, makes cleaning up a lot easier!
Enjoy!
Christi

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning