hf1

ARGH!!! nits!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

ARGH!!! nits!

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm HATE the job of nit picking ggrrrr! Jake has them again... and again he never told me he had an itchy head I just spotted him scratching so asked him and he said "yeah it's been itching the last few days" so annoyed. He had them quite bad last time and it took me hours because there was one large one (quite grossly large) that must have been the one he "caught" from someone but it had had the chance to lay about a million eggs and what weren't eggs were too small to pick our with a nit comb, it was a nightmare!!!

Anyway I felt like shaving his hair off then. I did get his hair cut shorter then it has been for a while but it is longer again now. I even booked him a haircut today.

I'm more annoyed with whoever it is that isn't telling the school. I ALWAYS tell them when I find nits on Jake so everyone can check their kids otherwise the problem just circulates. He's had nits more times at this school then he has in his life and he's only been there about 14 months.

Sorry I'm totally ranting but still fuming at the moment and it is my worst parent job I reckon!

Anyway there is a reason I'm posting here. What is best to put on his hair now we've combed through them with a nice and clear head lice conditioner thingy. Someone said they hate tea tree oil so he's currently stinking of it!

Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm

and now I can't stop itching! :? :x

My avatar
Skatey
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Skatey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Our system is to wet comb with a nitty gritty comb (free on prescription) every week without fail. That way it seems to get rid of the big ones before you get a major life cycle going on. You could also try combing his hair with a normal comb every day as soon as he gets home from school.

Seems to have worked so far for us....

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Skatey wrote:Our system is to wet comb with a nitty gritty comb (free on prescription) every week without fail. That way it seems to get rid of the big ones before you get a major life cycle going on. You could also try combing his hair with a normal comb every day as soon as he gets home from school.

Seems to have worked so far for us....

OMG what a simple and easy idea! He has a brush as has long-ish hair but I will go and get a proper comb tomorrow and comb his hair everyday after school from now on.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm

ick...nits...i had a few weeks back...caught from boo (who was Swarming) who must have caught it from my little sil...who never bloody told us that she had nits while looking after my children...i was furious.

i put thru nit lotion and combed and combed and combed...and then did the same the next day (as i wasn't convinced, and then bought a nitty gritty comb and have been combing me and all the kids every week just in case.

i also informed both nurserys asap, as i wouldn't want it to be my kids curculating it! as it is tanbelis nursery has a very good policy and a nit nurse who comes round every month...and boo had only been to his nursery 1nce by then,...but i wanted to be sure.

my poor pregnant sis in law caught them too (from Boo) and couldn't use any lotions, so she has been combing and combing and combing

tea tree is apparaently good as is rosemary.
they hate the smells (me too!!)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm

No experience of nits.......yet! but I can imagine it is a nightmare. Hope they go quick and don't come back :D

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Neem oil and tea tree oil are the ones to use. Along with the proper combs of course (is Nitty Gritty the one with the spiralled prongs? We've got one of those if it is). Fortunately we've only had to deal with it a couple of times (touch wood), I hate it too. Nayan is ok as he has short hair, Tallin not too bad as he understands and although he has thick hair it's not too bad to comb, Ocean is a nightmare with his ringlets that dread and matt within hours and mine is just the worst! So tempting just to shave the lot off!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:16 pm

aarrgghh, now I'm all itchy too :?

tea tree in the shampoo is pretty good at keeping them at bay!

the combing idea is a good one too!

jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Yep teatree shampoo and conditioner - and comb the hair with a nit comb while the teatree conditioner is on...

The ones with mint in are quite good too - I think boots do an own brand one that's teatree and mint - really cools your head though!! :lol:

My SIL has HUGE problems with this as there's one little girl that seems to permenantly have them and her mum never treats her or admits to it... :roll:

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment