hf1

Milk Substitutes

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Milk Substitutes

Postby LilMrsAverage » Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

So I am beginning the thought of removing some dairy from our diet.

We use ALOT of milk in this house - what is the cheapest milk substitute - I don;t really have a huge budget and can;t afford to pay that much more .

... go

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Milk Substitutes

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:49 pm

I swapped to soy milk but it isn't cheap (i think £1 something for the talk skinny carton of tesco's own) the nut mills were about the same and i haven't seeb the oat or rice versions yet.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm

M can't have soya or dairy. Rice is not recommended due to the arsenic content so we have oatly or almond milk, whichever is on offer! :lol: Its not as cheap as cows milk though. I'm sure someone ( @littlesez ? ) has made oat milk so that might work out cheaper. I'm not sure how much oats you need to get a decent amount of milk though!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I would avoid soy milk like the plague. It has been connected to thyroid issues. I would go for oat or almond. Both are really easy to make at home.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm

i did lots of different things.

Soya milk for cereal and lattes and hot chocolate
Rice milk for tea and coffee
Oat milk for izzy as a drink

I made our own oat milk by just simply stirring oats in water then seiving it through, it was a bit "grainy" :giggle: but i still liked it. Then we used the oats for porridge every morning, For oat milk i would say any i amount is fine and then the other two in moderation. :thumbsup:

For yoghurt i would say soya, For cream we used oat cream and cheese i am afriad we could not find a good alternative at all they all stink like feet the only one i liked was fake parmesan. For custard i used soya and for non dairy ice cream the very gorgeous and very ££££ booja booja

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm

word of caution on soy milk for boys - my friend is a gp & has a dairy intolerant baby boy & has done lots of research on it....because it has oestrogen like properties i wouldn't overdo the soy for boys, ok for girls tho'. She is using oatmilk a lot for her baby instead.

We're buying cravendale milk at the mo cos it's on offer but it has been filtered so much I don't think it tastes of anything!! lol

Emma
x

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 pm

We use rice milk because jake won't eat or drink anything made with oat milk. His dietician has said it's fine as he isn't having much yet - his main milk substitute continues to be his formula.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

yes i think the key is that none of these milks should be used as a baby's main source of nutrition. But then again i wouldnt use cows milk that way anyway. Is tabitha still breastfed?

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

littlesez wrote:yes i think the key is that none of these milks should be used as a baby's main source of nutrition. But then again i wouldnt use cows milk that way anyway. Is tabitha still breastfed?

No she stopped feeding just after her 1st birthday but they both have milk at bed time - and sometimes for a nap So i want to replace that milk with either almond/coconut or oat....

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment