My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Home made dishwasher powder

Postby littlesez » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 am

ems101 wrote:
littlesez wrote:come on spill whats the ingredients tory? i am buying ingredients for other stuff atm on ebay :giggle:

what are you making @littlesez?

everything :hohoho: i am obsessed

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:35 am

Ah come on, let us into a few secrets ;)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 am

thats fab and sounds easy :) thanks x

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:17 pm

What a fab idea!

But what's Borax?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

All purpose cleaning powder

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 am

A while ago now, I decided i was going to make my own dishwasher gel as the one we used was just costing loads. Well that experiment didn't work out very well, so i thought i know I will try a dishwasher powder instead. This stuff is amazing! It really is a total all round cleaning powder. It can be used in the dishwasher, to wash clothes in the washing machine, and as a scouring powder too. I use a coffee scoop (aprox 1tbs) which is the perfect size for my dishwasher, and a vanish pink scoop from a vanish oxyclean tub for the washing powder, and these scoop sizes are perfect for my machines, but just play with it and see what works best for you. To use as a scouring powder, i just sprinkle on, and use a scrubbing brush to clean it.

This is suitable for everything apart from aluminium due to the high concentration of soda crystals

[b]All Purpose cleaning powder[/b

1 cup of soap flakes (or grated soap)
1 cup of soda crystals
20 drops of essential oil (I use orange oil as i love the fresh smell)

Pop the soap flakes in a blender and blend until they are a fine powder. This helps the resultant washing powder to be dissolved much more easily. Once you have a fine powder, add the soda crystals and your essential oils and pulse until it is all mixed together. Transfer into a suitable storage container.

I make this in bulk and store it in some beautiful vintage style glass jars I bought from dunelm mill. I have one for the kitchen and one for the utility room for the clothes. Ive noticed that the essential oil smell doesnt linger on the clothes, they just dont really smell of anything, so if you like a more fragranced wash, then make sure you use a scented conditioner :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: All purpose cleaning powder

Postby littlesez » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

we use similar for clothes washing but add citric acid and salt for dishwasher :)

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 pm

sounds good-do you have to wear gloves when using? x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm

littlesez wrote:we use similar for clothes washing but add citric acid and salt for dishwasher :)

I make a rinse aid with citric acid and water ;) And I found that it doesnt make any difference if there is salt in the dishwasher or not

Dora wrote:sounds good-do you have to wear gloves when using? x

I dont, but if you are sensative to soda crystals then I would when using it as a cleaning powder :)

Previous

Return to Natural Living and the Environment