hf1

Food composters

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Food composters

Postby Melh27 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:11 pm

anyone have any experience of food composters.

I don't have enough garden waste for a normal composter, but am considering a food composter. But, before I invest I want to know that they work, and just get a personal recommendation.

Mel xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:27 pm

I haven't tried one Mel but I think Lesley was talking about getting a pyramid one.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:56 pm

Sorry, don't know how they work. We have a normal compost bin which is unsightly but works very well, we put everything in it. Even found a toad living in it once so must be nice and warm in there :D

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Melh27 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 am

Lesley has got one, but hasn't started using it yet!

Annette - lol at the toad, I am a little put off now! pmsl

xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:18 am

Melh27 wrote:Lesley has got one, but hasn't started using it yet!

Annette - lol at the toad, I am a little put off now! pmsl

xxx

You big woosey!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 pm

I realise this thread is ooooollllldddd now, but we have two compost bins and several Bokashi bins and compost ALL of our food waste along with grass cuttings, cardboard, shredded paper, etc, etc. If you've got a garden then it's really worth composting, however much waste you make!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 pm

We recently got the Bokashi system, which is good, but if you are going to dig the waste into the garden, then you need to take that into consideration as well. THe advantage of the Bokashi is that you can add in cooked foods as well as raw foods.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 pm

We've had ours a while now and add the bokashi to the compost bins. We find it speeds up the composting process immensely too which is a bonus. Even over the winter everything is breaking down quite quickly!

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Rae wrote:We recently got the Bokashi system, which is good, but if you are going to dig the waste into the garden, then you need to take that into consideration as well. THe advantage of the Bokashi is that you can add in cooked foods as well as raw foods.

We have these as well, if it was up to me I wouldn't do it, too much hassle, going to bury it :oops: :oops: But fella is happy doing it :D They give you two bins (our council gives them away for free) but my mum didn't get on with hers so we have hers too and now have 4 in rotation :lol: :lol: You also need to buy special bran to put in it.

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment