hf1

Any other vegetarian/vegan families?

My avatar
caseyj
Clothie
Clothie

Any other vegetarian/vegan families?

Postby caseyj » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:06 pm

My husband and I are both vegan, and our baby will be as well. Anybody else? Just thought I'd check!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:30 pm

not here, but I cook 2 vegie lunches a week for the kids I look after (well I can add fish but not cow's cheese)

Annette

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:02 pm

I have been a veggie for about 14 years but DH still eats meat and while I won't cook meat for Charlotte she does eat meat. We are going to let her decide what she wants to do (with some gentle persuasion from me while Mark tries to persuade her with bacon sarnies!)

My avatar
caseyj
Clothie
Clothie

Postby caseyj » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:26 am

Hi!
I'm so glad my husband has agreed to raise our child vegan. Of course, once she/he's old enough to make their own decision, we'll go with that. Hoping she/he'll choose to remain a veggie!

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Charliemum wrote:I have been a veggie for about 14 years but DH still eats meat and while I won't cook meat for Charlotte she does eat meat. We are going to let her decide what she wants to do (with some gentle persuasion from me while Mark tries to persuade her with bacon sarnies!)

Same as us Annette, i have been veggie since i was 15 now and both girls eat meat, simply because dh does and we think they need to choose when they are older :D

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:52 am

My whole family turned veggie when I was 3 so I have been veggie since then, my fella loves his meat, but I don't cook it, and I wouldn't know where to start anyway, or want to for that matter. If he wants meat he cooks it himself!

My kids are both veggie at the moment, but will choose if and when they want to. I am really glad my fella agreed to bring them up veggie too, the amount of people I hear saying I couldn't be veggie I would miss meat to much. Well my kids will be able to choose based on what their head says rather than their bellies :D Saying that though William is already adamant that he will eat meat when he is bigger :roll:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Suzanne, what do you give the kids for their protein, Louis not that keen on meat (mind you not that keen on veg either :lol: :lol: :lol: ) :?: :?:

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

Protein is one of those things that people seem to think is difficult to get in a vegetarian diet however protein is found in A LOT of foods and it is almost impossible not to eat enough protein (assuming that you are eating a sufficient amount of food). Modern western diets actually contain more protein than in actually needed. Enough if the lecture, I should really answer the question :oops:

Good sources of protein in a veggie diet include:

Milk and Milk products such as cheese and yoghurt
eggs
Soya products
Nuts
Seeds
Beans
Pulses - Lentils, kidney beans etc
Grains - Wheat, barley, rice etc.

I heard years ago, and I don't know how true it is, that baked beans on wholemeal toast has the same amount of protein weight for weight as steak. Maybe a lot of old cobblers but that is one example beans on toast is a quick and easy protein rich snack/meal for a little one, although try to avoid high salt and sugar ones :wink: Peanut butter or cheese sandwiches is another good one, shall I carry on. Cereals with milk on........ rice with peas........lentil soup yum yum a staple in this house yummy and really easy to make especially if you have a pressure cooker.

I used to think that meat eaters wouldn't like the sort of stuff I grew up with lentil soup and that kind of thing but I haven't yet met anyone who doesn't like my lentil soup :wink:

I have weaned both of mine using mainly the recipes and advice from two books:

Baby and Child Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Timperley and
Mother, Baby + Toddler Book by Rose Elliot

I now appear to be waffling I will shut up :oops:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 pm

oooh Suzanne, I'll take that lentil soup recipe off you! i Looooove lentil soup...also like meat, but find vege restuarants are often so much more interesting and inventive than meat ones where they do...steak.
also when i next want a baby...will be trying for a girl, and rumour has it that eating less meat may help with that quest!!

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment