hf1

Growing your own veg

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:45 pm

wE'VE GOT A VEGGIE PATCH TOO. tHIS YEAR WE HAD POTAtoes, onions, sprouts, leeks, carrots and parsnips

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:48 pm

In the past I've grown carrots, potatoes (v.easy!), peas&beans, raddishes, lettuce, spring onions...

At the moment I've only got herbs growing and a small strawberry plant indoors that I bought from Muji of all places when they were closing one of their manchester shops...

Would like to do more this year definately! Need to get the garden properly sorted though...

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

HannahBanana wrote:What time of year should I start?

If you buy packs of seeds, they tell you on the back. Potatoes are traditionally planted on Easter Weekend. (More likely because the factories were closed and people had time to do it rather than any horticultural reason!)

Spring-time is the catch-all answer :lol: whenever that will be.... (when the last frosts are passed - round abouts march / april / may)

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks hun!

I'm quite excited about it!!!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:09 pm

This is a really good idea. I've been wanting to do my own cut & come again lettuces this year and I think I might venture out a bit more and do some carrots etc, may as well if Rhys is gonna be eating them.

Altho, lease is up in July :( do I want to have to move plants that are halfway through growing :(

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:This is a really good idea. I've been wanting to do my own cut & come again lettuces this year and I think I might venture out a bit more and do some carrots etc, may as well if Rhys is gonna be eating them.

Altho, lease is up in July :( do I want to have to move plants that are halfway through growing :(

Can't you do it in pots?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Could do I'll have to look into it, my mam used to do it so I'll ask her for some easily moveable (sp?) advice

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:05 pm

I grew my potatoes (all my veggies in fact) in pots as when we did them we were in a rented house that only had a tiny paved yard...

My avatar
Natalie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Growing your own veg

Postby Natalie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Apart from potatos do you plant stuff from seeds? Do you let them spout in the house 1st or grow straight outdoors?

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment