hf1

Going Organic - I've done it :-)

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Going Organic - I've done it :-)

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 am

We love our veg box, and have now tried some veg that i dont think we would have ever gone and bought lol. anything we really dont like i chuck in a soup and hide the taste with other veggies :D

My avatar
sian
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 pm

we are mostly organic! but if you cant manage it...wash your veg in a vinegar and water solution... apparently this rids pesticides! :D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 am

Inspired by you all, I have gone back to an organic veg box and organic milk delivery.

I had both before but the milkman used to deliver about 10am which was no good for me as it sat on the doorstep all day and when I complained was told "well he does start early and someone has to be last" I also had a veg box before from limited resources but got so fed up with the lack of variety, quantity and quality that I stopped that too.

Anyway, the milk delivery is going well, we have moved so have a different delivery and it has arrived before 6.30am each morning so far. I was also shocked to find the veg box delivered yesterday before 6.30am :shock: and it was fab.

I have gone with Abel and Cole this time and ordering and changing things online is so much easier than having to phone them as I did before. I also had cheese and eggs delivered by them to try. I don't eat meat so don't need to worry about that.

So far so good. My dh thinks I am mad though :roll:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am

Annette wrote:So far so good. My dh thinks I am mad though :roll:

:giggle: :roll: So does mine.

:x at your last milkman, what a rediculous time to deliver milk, but :wine: to the new delivery going well. I've gone with Northern Harvest, but nearly went with Abel & Cole. I might actually compare the 2 for price. TBH though I'm finding most things other than fruit and veg cheaper in Tesco :roll: A bit of a shame when part of what I want to do is support local farmers and businesses :-?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 am

Davina and Annette

You have got me thinking now but not sure I can justify the cost.

How often do you buy your box? which do you get? and does it last?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 am

I don't know yet, we just got the first one yesterday. I ordered a mixed fruit and veg box which is £15.95. It had about 6 potatoes, 4 onions, 6 carrots, 4 apples, 4 oranges, 2 artichokes, 2 leeks, 4 bananas, cabbage, 4 parsnips. Think that was it. I am pretty sure this will last us until the next box is delivered next Wednesday morning but I also added in a lettuce, couple of peppers and a cucumber as I like salads.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Annette that sounds really good.
I got a salad and a fruit box, £8 each and got 6 tomatoes, an avacado, watercress, a red pepper and some odd looking bean sprouts in the salad box. In the fruit box I got 6 apples, 2 oranges, 3 bananas, 1 lemon and a grapfruit. TBH I'm much more impressed by yours Annette, though this week I've ordered veg and fruit so hoping for things like potatoes, parsnips and onions which is what I need. I just had lots of those already when I ordered last week. Can't remember what I've paid this week for it. I think I'll see what I get and then have another think about Abel & Cole. Their delivery day is Tuesday which would be better than Friday for me too.
Viki I think it's worth having a look at what is available. I'm fairly sure organic boxes are a fair bit cheaper than they were when I first started looking at them a few years ago. I'm in a really awkward place where I've had a real struggle finding somewhere that delivers :-?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm

I really want to do this again but last time we ordered from our local veg box scheme thing we ended up buying so much extra and it just worked out more than we could afford... It was £16 for the large veg box, I would have to top that up with more potatoes/onions/mushrooms etc and then buy a fruit/salad box to that was £17 so i paid them £33 :shock: and then spent another£6 or so in tesco...way too much for me to spend on fruit, veg and salad per week :(

Might look at able and cole...maybe they will be cheaper...

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Annette wrote:Inspired by you all, I have gone back to an organic veg box and organic milk delivery.
I also had a veg box before from limited resources but got so fed up with the lack of variety, quantity and quality that I stopped that too.

I have gone with Abel and Cole this time and ordering and changing things online is so much easier than having to phone them as I did before. I also had cheese and eggs delivered by them to try. I don't eat meat so don't need to worry about that

I used to get our box from limited resources too but gave up for the same reasons. The fruit was ok but I got sick of having to swap things each week & we ended up wasting loads so dh made me cancel it. They never sent stuff we actually eat & the apples were always floury so nobody would eat them.

My friend switched to A&C & loves them!

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment