hf1

Vegan/vegetarian mummies please help!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Vegan/vegetarian mummies please help!

Postby aimeet » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi honey, have you tried rice milk, you should be able to get that in Oz. I would reccommend brocolli and other dark green veg, even onions have tonnes of calcium in. There should be enough calcium in his diet if you eat lots of different veg, like nappynutter said you really don't need dairy to fulfill your needs. I know a few vegan mums with very healthy vegan kiddies, so please don't worry. Are you excluding soya completely? Tofu and the soya yoghurts have added calcium so you could use them too. I don't know how old your LO is either but Quinoa, a grain, is a great source of calcium and protein, could be worth a try.
Hope that helps, also have you contacted the Australian vegan society? They are really good too. :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm

hi guys sorry to crash the thread! I was thinking if izzy doesnt wean before 2 years i can start her with soya milk but they arent supposed to have it before 2 are they? soooooooooo I was wondering what if she weans before 2 what would i do? or would all the veg and stuff be enouigh? and does oats have loads of calcium in too? I would be up for making oat milk for sure :D

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:28 pm

If you're planning on letting her self-wean then it's unlikely she'll do it before 2. It's quite rare for a baby to self wean before then, although they can have nursing strikes.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:31 pm

nappynutter wrote:If you're planning on letting her self-wean then it's unlikely she'll do it before 2. It's quite rare for a baby to self wean before then, although they can have nursing strikes.

I know but what if! :giggle: I can't imagine she would self wean because she has never ever ever turned it down! I could feed her a million times in one day and she would love it :hohoho: I can't even see her having a nursing strike, in all honesty I think i'll be BF a three year old :giggle:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 pm

In that case, I wouldn't worry. You can always cross that bridge if you come to it. :D

Previous

Return to Natural Living and the Environment