hf1

ARGH!!! nits!

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:39 pm

I was recommended Derbac-m by the pharmacist when Joshua had lice. Its a lotion that you put on and leave overnight - it does make their head look like a grease-ball but it did the trick: no more live lice or live eggs after the one application. Then you just comb every day with normal conditioner (as its slippery) to get rid of everything.

Good luck! :D

Just edited to say I only just saw this was posted in the 'Natural Living' section... I dont think Derbac-m is very 'natural living' :oops:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 pm

probably not very natural living - but good enough to use even when preg is my all time no one ever knows about solution.

Good old fashioned vosene shampoo - its the one called medicated, it comes in a dark green bottle and it is a thick brown consistency. It works if you just shampoo the hair every day - really rub in and leave for perhaps a little longer than you would normally shampoo, rinse out condition with normal conditioner, dry and repeat daily for 7 to 14 days.

It really does work - when I was teaching they were a major hazard and I could never work out why Robert never caught them off me when we were sharing the same bed, until I used the shampoo he used. Apparently he had used it since childhood and never once caught nits while at school.

Its also one of the cheapest solutions around - and there is no way a nit comb can ever fit through my thick curly hair :?

***http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlarge.jsp?productid=1028307&slmRefer=000&imageid=1

My avatar
Liss07
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Liss07 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Shevi wrote:ick...nits...i had a few weeks back...caught from boo (who was Swarming) who must have caught it from my little sil...who never bloody told us that she had nits while looking after my children...i was furious.

i put thru nit lotion and combed and combed and combed...and then did the same the next day (as i wasn't convinced, and then bought a nitty gritty comb and have been combing me and all the kids every week just in case.

i also informed both nurserys asap, as i wouldn't want it to be my kids curculating it! as it is tanbelis nursery has a very good policy and a nit nurse who comes round every month...and boo had only been to his nursery 1nce by then,...but i wanted to be sure.

my poor pregnant sis in law caught them too (from Boo) and couldn't use any lotions, so she has been combing and combing and combing

tea tree is apparaently good as is rosemary.
they hate the smells (me too!!)

Hedrin is safe during pregnancy :) I had them twice during mine, caught off Harley who the bloody things seem to love!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:34 am

AArrrgh I hate nits! When I picked hannah up from daycare yesterday there was yet another handout about them in her info pocket they've been spotted in the centre. I cant remember the brand but the last one I used on Han the main ingredients were tea tree and lavender oil. Also a good idea is it soak all combs and brushes in tea tree as well

My avatar
BabyLongLegs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby BabyLongLegs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:21 am

Nit are eugh......but what is worse is threadworm.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love
Sarah xXx

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: ARGH!!! nits!

Postby ericaj1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes Hedrin is fantastic! No nasty niffs and it works really well. My girls had nits so many times at primary school and it was always off the same 2 girls, sisters who were in each girls class. But hedrin kept them away, it basically coats the nits and eggs in a plasticcy solution and suffocates them so you don't get any stragglers left as long as you have thoroughly coated the hair. Then you redo 7 days later jic. And that mint and tea tree shampoo from Boots is amazing, especially if you've got headache.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re:

Postby HannahBanana » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 pm

ladybird wrote:Neem oil and tea tree oil are the ones to use.

The nit conditioner I have has Neem oil in it... 3rd ingredient so lots of it too. :mrgreen:

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm

ericaj1 wrote:Yes Hedrin is fantastic! No nasty niffs and it works really well. My girls had nits so many times at primary school and it was always off the same 2 girls, sisters who were in each girls class. But hedrin kept them away, it basically coats the nits and eggs in a plasticcy solution and suffocates them so you don't get any stragglers left as long as you have thoroughly coated the hair. Then you redo 7 days later jic. And that mint and tea tree shampoo from Boots is amazing, especially if you've got headache.

Why do people not admit to it or deal with nits... they're horrid!

I remember Jake's old school went through a phase of not telling specific parents if they found nits on a child but sending ou a blanket letter... which is useless if that particular parent is one that never bothers... they need speaking too. Oh and they don't want to upset the children by talking to them about it WTF! so an itchy head is better is it? and spreading them even more!

My avatar
Kybosh
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kybosh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm

I've no idea what to use, not had that problem yet, but, aaaarrrrggghhhh, I'm now itching all over :lol: :lol:

Sally

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment