hf1

Explaining boycotting to children

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Explaining boycotting to children

Postby Charlootle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Oops didn't realise it was such an old post, just shows Nestle and their evil doings continue...

Your boys sound great, you must be proud! :D

Charlotte & Jaden x

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Louise wrote:
Kirstyh wrote::oops: :oops: Can some one explain to me the nestle thing please, perhaps I have had my head buried in the sand as I don't know anything about this :oops: :oops:

This explains it perfectly

It all makes me feel sick and i want to cry, why are there so many horrible things like this and why are there so few people who care or want to know :(
I'm going to have the same problem when Lily is older. I'll post that link on facebook but I really get the feeling people just sort of say oh she's posted another conspiracy link :roll: last week it was forward facing car seats, the week before disposable wipes...tut
argh! :x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 pm

madcatlady wrote:Ahhhhh, yes, I've had to explain this one a few times :)

I use the fact that a LOT of their products are bad for us to eat anyway, so I project them in the light of being a manufacturer of mainly unhealthy foods. Obviously the foods that are healthy (the good cereals) throws a spanner in the works with that reasoning, so I raise how they have some horrendous practices in developing countries that leads to unnecessary deaths in tragically high numbers :cry:

Give DD lots of hugs and I'm sure you're absolutely right that she'll relate to the breastfeeding stuff :) You're not alone in having blurted out something that conveyed your feelings instead of something LO's can grasp.

Over time I've used such pearlers as:

DS2: mum, can we have some of the cookie crisp cereal?
DS1: No, it's not even real cereal and its Nestle!
DS2: oh yeah, mum, why don't we buy Nestle?
Me: Because they are eviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil bad people who want your teeth to rot and fall out, can you put some wheat bisks in the trolley please matey? :oops:

Me: (exasperated in supermarket coffee aisle) I can't find the ethically enhanced coffee, I'm surrounded by disgusting nestle aaaaarg...where's the Fairtrade?
DS1: but that says nescafe not nestle mum
Me: ahhhhhh, but they have many guises they sneak behind to trick people!!!!!
DS1: do they!?!
Me: yes, yes they do
DS1: like what?
Me: like pretending to poor people in developing countries that formula milk is better for their babies than breastmilk
DS1: well thats a lie isn't it!
Me: yes, but they tell lies all the time and because of their lying babies die, about 5 million a year actually....
DS1: that's horrible, I don't really like kitkats anymore...

Wow, what a fab wayto explain it! I am dreading having to justify this to my child. Also, do they not accept nestle when given it by friends/family etc, this is where I may have trouble- my mum is a pain for this- I know she will totally violate DH's and my ethical choices.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:20 am

.. I had heard of people boycotting nestle and had never really thought anymore about it

spoke to hubby last night and from today ( well hubby wants to finish his giant polo's multipack) we will be a nestle free area :wine:

Just one question I've had a look ... is there some where that has a list f all there products... I keep finding random ones but not ones that match each other.... ( though gutted to find out matchmakers are nestle! :giggle: )

Can any of you who have been more knowledgeable about this point me in the right direction x x

Thanks x x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:24 am

I think the best way is to pick stuff up and look on the labels, there should be an address on the back. I picked something by Rowntree's up yesterday, checked the address and sure enough, it said Nestle. I'm not quite sure if that covers everything completely or not, but it would be a start at least when you're out shopping. I personally don't take long lists of what I can and can't buy with me. And I don't kick myself too hard on the very rare occasion I come home with something I'd rather not bought.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:48 am

See I wouldn't have thought to look at the label! :hohoho:

That type of common sense thinking sometimes escapes me!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am

Baby Milk Action do a really handy little card sized thing that you can put in your wallet, or at least they did when I was a memeber and active all those years ago at uni :oops: .

Here is a link to the list on Baby Milk Action's website, I seem to remember that they are very helpful if you contact them directly too.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/products.html

hope that helps hun and :wine: for becoming a Nestle free zone.

Previous

Return to Natural Living and the Environment