hf1

Cleaning carpets

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Cleaning carpets

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

Just wondering if any of you ladies have any recipes for cleaning carpets? I stupidly :doh: bought a beige coloured carpet for our living room when we first moved in and now it's rather manky from through traffic, PT'ing attempts and general toddler food eating (Mashed banana in carpets is not nice!)
Mum lent me her big carpet washer, but lost the instructions :roll: and when I tried to use it it didnt seem to make any difference.
I'm thinking of getting a good stiff bristled brush and scrubbing the areas that look mucky. But I don't know what to use to clean and deodorise. Kirsty told me you can use Bicarb to deodorise smells, but how do you apply it? Do I mix with vinegar or something?

I guess what I'm asking is, do you girls have any carpet cleaner recipes? :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Cleaning carpets

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 am

Erm no - if you mix bicarb and vinegar you'll get a lovely frothy mess :lol:

Sprinkle the bicarb on - leave (e.g. overnight) and hoover it off later...

I'm sure my 'how clean is your house' book that MIL bought me that's gathering dust on the shelf will have some tips :lol:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:37 am

Velvetsteph wrote:I'm sure my 'how clean is your house' book that MIL bought me that's gathering dust on the shelf will have some tips :lol:

:giggle: :giggle: I love HCIYH. Makes me feel like my house is lovely and clean :oops: :hohoho:

And the foam was why I thought you maybe had to mix it, most 'shop bought' carpet cleaners and foamy

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:05 pm

HCIYH: Deodourising Carpets..
  • To freshen and deodorize upholstery, caprets and pet beding, liberally sprinkle on bicarbonate of soda. Wait 15minutes or longer depending on strength of odour, then vacuum.
  • Combine one part distilled white vinegar to five parts water. Pour into a spray bottle and spray into odorous areas. You can also spray in places you do'nt want your pets to go - they don't like vinegar.
  • Liquid carpet shampoo spray - I swar by this for small marks, but use it as soon as they appear. Test a samll hidden area first to ensure it won't spoil the carpet colour, and leave for at least half an hour. For small marks just rub your fingernail along with the pile and tease through the soap. Bang with a dampcloth, followed by a dry cloth.
  • Dirty carpets should be professionally cleaned.

There's a whole page on how to clean your carpet but I won't type it all out :lol:
They mainly talk about shampooing the carpet but being careful not to over wet the carpet as that can leave it sticky attracting more dirt. They recommend steam cleaners and professional cleaning for really dirty carpets...

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Gah. Looks like I'll have to hunt for the instructions for this damned thing then lol.
I'd love a steam cleaner *day dreams*

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:Gah. Looks like I'll have to hunt for the instructions for this damned thing then lol.
I'd love a steam cleaner *day dreams*

I'm sure google could be your friend there ;)
What's the make and model?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 pm

:giggle: :giggle: Just found them. The PDF on their own site didn't work. I didn't think of googling :doh:
Will give it all a go once Madam's in bed I think.

Return to Natural Living and the Environment