hf1

Amazing Vinegar!

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Amazing Vinegar!

Postby chocmuffin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Its easier to find in larger containers around xmas time cos people use it for pickling :lol:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:36 pm

it's one of the things i missed when i left aus - not being able to get huge bottles of vinegar for virtually nothing. Tesco do sell their own brand version, about half price compared to the sarsons one.

Guess it's so easy to come by in australia since white vinegar is used for chips etc

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

JanX wrote:I have bought white vinegar in Tescos and also in Asda!

they do sell it Jan just not in the quantities Tory was talking about...

Still at least it's in glass bottles...

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 am

I've heard that it's not good to use malt vinegar to clean, even the clear malt vinegar. I ended up buying a 5 litre jug of distilled vinegar online at some green living site. It was a tad bit expensive...4.99 maybe, but I ordered it with lots of other things that I needed (sodium bi-carb in a huge pack, borax substitute) to get the biggest 'bang' for the shipping costs.

Since we don't have a car, it was LOVELY to have a very heavy box delivered directly to the door. I believe that you can find big bottles of distilled vinegar in chinese supermarkets, but the idea of toting it back to the house after an hour and a half in different buses...and still have to find bi-carb somewhere else...well, I just opted to pay shipping.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am

I get distilled vinegar from my local hardware store... 5l for £3.00 but its unbranded.. just written on with a permanent marker LOL We can have the tub refilled for £2.50 :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 pm

The stuff here isn't malt it is just plain white vinegar - I guess distilled :-?

Isn't it funny that you can't get it in decent sized quantities. I use it to kill weeds on the drive etc and can get through a couple of big bottles for that so would hate to only get little expensive bottles! Maybe everyone needs to ask in their local supermarket to get it in :giggle:

ETA sorry meant to say Ems that is a great idea - and supports small local businesses :wine: :wine: :wine:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 pm

It's good to know, but not at the same time too, that other people have problems finding the white or spirit vinegar you need for cleaning.
I've been on the look out for a lil while now but can't seem to find it anywhere :-?
Didn't know if maybe I was looking in the wrong aisle in the supermarkets etc? Where would you normally find it if not in the cleaning aisle or the aisle where all the other vinegars can be found?
I did have a quick look at online places too, but it seems the cost for delivery is the same price, if not more!, than the actual vinegar... :-? The only place I've not checked out as yet is Wilko's, just in case they happen to do it
Will keep an eye out on this thread to see if anyone manages to find it at a reasonable price from somewhere most of us could get to (chain of shops) or order from :)

Dooby x

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I've been looking for white vinegar for quite a while, but now found some at Tesco :D It's Tesco Destilled White Vinegar and costs £0.47 per 500ml bottle. It took me a while to find it in the store, but they are hiding it on the bottom shelf of the malt vinegars.

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:14 pm

our fruit & veg shop sells the big 5 litre bottles (for pickling), or another place you could try is a cash & carry that sells to the public

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment