hf1

Anyone own a steam mop?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Anyone own a steam mop?

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm

been thinking about buying one for ages, as i begrudge buying a new head for my mop each week and well, dragging all the dirty water round the place. the idea came from too many infomercial's when i was pregnant.

yes i need one?

or

i bought one and it was a pile of sticky stuff?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Anyone own a steam mop?

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Why do you have to buy a new mop head every week :?
And erm if the water is dirty change it more often...

Sorry it sounds like an expensive gadget...

Do you have a link to an example?

Sorry not meaning to be a grumpy old woman here ;) :giggle: but just wondering why you'd need to replace the mop head so often! :lol:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 pm

With Steph here. We have a mop head that gets washed between uses, a microfibre one I believe.

Dad has a steam cleaner with lots of nozzley bits for different cleaning jobs. I'd be wary with a steam mop - I've just googled and those I looked at all say that you can do carpets, etc, but surely they'll get wet/damp? I know Dad's steamer sucks the water back up again, so shoots out the steam and immediately sucks the water straight back up so carpets and upholstery are left all but dry. I'd be wary of anything leaving the carpets very damp. Tbh, the sites I saw look like cheap, tacky places that sell you stuff that sounds too good to be true and is! Maybe I'm looking somewhere else to you though.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:39 pm

I've got an all-in-one steam cleaner which has a mop-head attachment - TBH I don't use it much, and never for mopping, it's such a faff to fill up and wait for it to boil, and is a real hazard with children around as it takes ages to cool down. I'd stick to an ordinary mop.

It's great for cleaning grubby bathroom grout though as it has a small plastic scrubbing attachment :D

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 pm

steph my mop is in use a stupid amount each day, i have a vileda dooberry and i do buy a new head each week. i change the water about 4-5 times a day as the whole of the downstairs is wipe clean. it gets really slippery being wet alot, not good for mr T, plus, i use flash, and that's getting on his hands and stuff and can't be good. plus i always seemt o get a sticky residue on the lino and laminate that drives me nuts, so unless i get on my hands and knees and buff the floor after it's always getting mucky.

one like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H2O-H20-Ultra-Ste ... 673wt_1016

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Frances wrote:I've got an all-in-one steam cleaner which has a mop-head attachment - TBH I don't use it much, and never for mopping, it's such a faff to fill up and wait for it to boil, and is a real hazard with children around as it takes ages to cool down. I'd stick to an ordinary mop.

It's great for cleaning grubby bathroom grout though as it has a small plastic scrubbing attachment :D

i've had a hand held thing b4, it was pants. was good for getting donkey breakfast wallpaper off though :wink:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:45 pm

There is no way I'd want something that hot around the kids - you wouldn't use a kettle around them like that, it just looks dangerous to me. Secondly, I wouldn't use the heat on my wooden floors as they have been lacquered and I bet it would ruin it over time.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

i wouldn't use it with them around, i mean nap time. my hallway floor is always needing to be mopped, my kids think i installed a rotating door. only it's invisble to adults.....

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Frances wrote:I've got an all-in-one steam cleaner which has a mop-head attachment - TBH I don't use it much, and never for mopping, it's such a faff to fill up and wait for it to boil, and is a real hazard with children around as it takes ages to cool down. I'd stick to an ordinary mop.

What she said, the steam is very hot and so i cant use it with a toddler around, mine doesnt suck back up again either so it will clean (saves me on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor) and then i need to use a mop to get up the excess water up,therefore i dont bother using it, it was from Lakeland by the way.

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment