hf1

The companys we buy from are not taking notice.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

The companys we buy from are not taking notice.

Postby clairelana » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:26 pm

We buy from all these ethical companys.
When asked if they know the people who run the baby show also run shows for arms dealers, they are just blanking us. Some of them say they don't care!
How can they run as ethical companys yet not care about this!
www.dsei.org

Have a look at this guy, he talks about the arms fairs (set up by the same people who do the baby show)
http://youtu.be/7A_B9lB8w5k
http://youtu.be/pOoZH74tspw
http://youtu.be/hHlKTaPm-WM

Many of our cloth nappy shops are having stalls, yet they refuse to respond when asked if they know about all this.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: The companys we buy from are not taking notice.

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I design graphics for drug packets for a company that have killed ppl in drug trials.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I "think" the Scottish baby show is run by different people x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't see the alternative tbh. If ethical companies boycott the baby fair, then reusable nappies won't get the exposure to the general public that they really need to expand into the marketplace.

And it's not necessarily the case that all companies providing baby products are ethical - they may just have spotted a gap in the market.

As for the arms fair, unless someone is selling arms illegally then someone has to make the equipment that keeps our troops armed and defended, so I don't necessarily have an issue with that. It's a completely different political issue to whether or not you support reducing landfill and carbon emissions.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm

All that petrol ppl use getting to and from them baby show ;)

The event is run by a huge events organiser, not by an arms dealer, or a nappy or pram company. All they do is sell floor space. It doesn't bother me what else they organise through the yr. An organiser is hardly likely to be able to put on an event which is illegal.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

northernruth wrote:I don't see the alternative tbh. If ethical companies boycott the baby fair, then reusable nappies won't get the exposure to the general public that they really need to expand into the marketplace.

And it's not necessarily the case that all companies providing baby products are ethical - they may just have spotted a gap in the market.

As for the arms fair, unless someone is selling arms illegally then someone has to make the equipment that keeps our troops armed and defended, so I don't necessarily have an issue with that. It's a completely different political issue to whether or not you support reducing landfill and carbon emissions.

Exactly. None of these companies are ethical to the point of not for profit are they? Many are ltd companies with shareholders who want to see returns on their investments. There will be enough people attending who dont care about these issues but they just might make the switch to reusables and reduce their landfill. I think you have to be pragmatic and realise that you cant have everything.

I also think its important to remember that we dont all have the same value system either. Whats unethical to one person isnt to someone else.....

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:49 pm

northernruth wrote:And it's not necessarily the case that all companies providing baby products are ethical - they may just have spotted a gap in the market.

*cough*N€stle*cough*

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:
northernruth wrote:And it's not necessarily the case that all companies providing baby products are ethical - they may just have spotted a gap in the market.

*cough*N€stle*cough*

lol obv, what I meant was not all companies that provide ethical baby products like reusable nappies are necessarily ethical themselves. The ultimate in ethical trading is a co-operative system which is not actually that common :wink:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:04 pm

northernruth wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:

*cough*N€stle*cough*

lol obv, what I meant was not all companies that provide ethical baby products like reusable nappies are necessarily ethical themselves. The ultimate in ethical trading is a co-operative system which is not actually that common :wink:

Yep, I agree, cloth's just a nice little bit of green-washing for some of them.

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment