hf1

The companys we buy from are not taking notice.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: The companys we buy from are not taking notice.

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:46 pm

okay so i don't know every single fact and figure out there. but surely it is very hard these days not to use one company or another without there being a link to something bad? gee it wasn't so long ago someone gave me a right dressing down for buying something from macdonalds which they said supported the ira. i think me personally, would find it very difficult to research every company b4 i bought from them. i really don't have the luxury of boycotting every one and everything because of their links. i use cloth because it's better and kind to my kids skin etc and the right choice for us. but how do u know that some nappies aren't made in third world contries outsourced by the main company? or that children aren't involved in the manufacture of fabrics used? i get told not to buy from gap as they employ child labour etc etc

but i don't go round telling everyone they must use cloth, or anything like that because it's kinda up to them. most know about cloth for instance, some choose to use it, others choose to stick a nasty bag of crystals on there lo's bum. yes there is a lot of cruelty going on in other countries, but what happens to the little kids hurt in our own country? where nothing seems to be done till it's too late? or the homeless people bypassed as if they are nothing on the street. sorry to rant but i'm always being told off for doing day to day things. and it's just a little, annoying.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Hear Hear Annika! *Ducks the imcoming flames* Image :angrypeasants:

:hohoho:

My avatar
BibsnBots
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BibsnBots » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Its not about being told off its about being more informed.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Like Annika said, you cant duck out of everything and even when you try to youll get tripped up on the way...

We're all adults and have a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips, how we choose to interpret that information is up to us...No?!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Mark Thomas is being taken out of context here though and the minority of ethical issues with arms being sold to other regimes is just a tiny part of the overall much larger arms show and industry. I'm sure Nestle and HIPPs will be at the baby show too, which to me would be more of a reason to not go as trade shows usually involve a lot of marketing bumph. The events are so big, that even in a sector like accessories for babies, you're still going to get totally different ethical perspectives and opinions. It's still an ethical contradiction on the part of the venue and events management that gives the exhibitors and attendees no real choice on such issues.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:29 pm

I was just posting Mark Thomas to give people some insight as to what goes on at the arms fairs. Plus he's a great comedian too :wink:

I know the odd nappy company do give aways, but I think most of the people who are applying will already be using cloth. This isn't the point here though :giggle:

We can't all avoid everythibg "bad" as like you say most of the things we don't know about. It's all about the information provided.

I never heard anything bad about N&stle untill I joined here, my eye were opened.

I was just trying to inform people, thats all.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:32 pm

I think it's fine to give people information, but on a diplomatic note, I think it's also fine to leave it there. Not everyone will agree with everything, and not all people will want to discuss it, it does not mean that they don't agree with what your saying. A given piece of information is for each individual to decide for themselves on how to conduct themselves with that said knowledge.

I have had my hands in lots of companies through the years that I don't agree with how they run/conduct business/ruin lives, be it moving shares around, or in a business contract with them. Sometimes I have known before dealing with them and sometimes I have found out in the course of the dealings. I don't agree with some things in life, but sometimes there is nothing you can actually do about it.

On the controversial subject of medical research: Should I have screamed out from my hospital bed when I broke my back awaiting a drug that would stop the inflammation in my spinal cord moving further up my nerves, and tell them that I didn't want the injections put in my spine because the methods and medications used were tested on animals? Nope. Did I want to die from spinal shock? Nope. Did I know that from the stats they told me, that I would have a better chance of rehabilitation and an active life with a low spinal cord injury, rather than than a higher one, once the treatment was complete? Yup, and thats all I was interested in. Ethics were not actually what were going through my mind at the time.

On the controversial subject of business ethics: Do I look into the ethics, and varied hype on the internet of every company on the graph, whilst moving shares around on share-scope? Where can I actually find accurate information of that type that is factual and will influence me enough not to buy and hold the shares for 4 hours. Nope, I look at fluctuations and reports, past business history, economic data. Stats. There are companies which I wouldn't personally put money into, but as they are sooo big, my funds would never allow me to touch them anyway.

Shallow it may seem to some, I'm sorry, whilst I agree it does not seem right with the events organisation, I personally can not say without sounding hypocritical, that I disagree beyond a doubt with the cause of the controversy.

My avatar
BibsnBots
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BibsnBots » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I think in your position Ems I would have done exactly the same.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I don't entirely understand why it's hypocritical of the events organisers - surely they are not holding themselves up as an ethical company? It's just a baby show - the fact that some ethical businesses are advertising there shoudln't prevent the organisers letting space to other companies who are less ethical.

I'm not suggesting that the arms trade is above reproach. It's just a tenuous link - would you not go and see a concert at Earls Court because they had hosted an arms fair? Where do you draw the line - so if you boycott Nestle do you boycott Tesco because they stock Nestle? There are more important things to get outraged about I would have thought.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment