hf1

Anyone else think/feel the same?!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Anyone else think/feel the same?!

Postby doobykat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:36 pm

I've just been catching up with some of the latest news online and have to say I'm both shocked & horrified at some of the reports and pictures of the rubbish pile-ups that are happening around the country due to lack of collections.
I'm shocked that councils have let the situation get so out of hand and that some are still claiming that "it's not an issue" but to be honest, I'm even more dismayed that joe public has just carried on dumping bag after bag on the street :-?
I know it's a pain in the bum when you pay part of your council tax towards rubbish collection and it doesn't happen, but we generated this rubbish, so aren't we also responsible in part for its safe disposal?
We were also one of the affected areas that didn't have a general rubbish collection for 4 weeks but honestly, for us it wasn't a problem... I think we could probably have quite happily gone 6-8 weeks before it became an issue :shock:
It helps, I think, that we compost the majority of any food we need to dispose of. We also shop for our fruit, veg & meat from the local greengrocer/butcher, where we're encouraged to use our own bags and buy most things loose, so you don't need extra packaging. And of course, we use washable nappies on Erin.
I can't help but think that we should use this as a wake-up call. That it's evidence that we can't carry on generating as much rubbish as we do. And that if we don't modify our behaviour, we're going to end up in a Wall-e type world sooner than we think :(

Dooby x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Anyone else think/feel the same?!

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm

We are all up-to-date here now thankfully but when the bin lorry couldn't get to us but we could get out (just) we took it to the tip/recycle centre ourselves, some people just couldn't be bothered doing it and then complain about the squaller :-? yes it is very frustrating that we pay out council tax for this but they just couldn't get to us, I was more annoyed at the post not being delivered when they could get to us!

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I think it's disgusting too, we've managed 3 weeks without a refuse collection as ours is on a Monday and the Monday before Christmas they were unable to collect due to the snow. Our bin was just full when it was collected this week, we reuse any bags or recycle them at the supermarket and we generally aren't a great generator of rubbish as most is recycled. We've had more of a recycling problem as it's now been 5 weeks since our last collection and we have another week to wait :-? But there is a tip down the road we can take the cardboard etc to so it's not really a problem for us.

Unfortunately we have lazy neighbours, one of which filled their green garden waste bin with their rubbish as well as their large rubbish bin and three bin bags piled on the path outside our houses, which has been attracting foxes and cats :x Rubbish is strewn over the grass area outside our house where they've just shoved as much as possible in their bins and where the lid didn't shut the rubbish blew out everywhere. Drives me mad. Luckily the bin men took everything yesterday apart from the rubbish on the grass, so now there aren't rubbish bags everywhere. Instead it's just the recycling stuff and black bags full of recycling too even though we were all given clear sacks to fill :x :x

So you're not on your own :-?

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:54 pm

I can see how alot of people won't want to put smelly rubbish bags in their car and take them to the dump, but if they recycled and composted they wouldn't have that issue. We have weekly black bin collections but only need to put them out every four weeks, although we do it more frequently in summer when they can get smelly. Green bins used to be collected every three weeks but have this year been changed to four-weekly :roll: . I really can't see how this is helpful to anyone, for people with only one green bin chances are they'll end up putting recyclables in their black bin. And if councils have recycling targets then why reduce the number of collections? I don't get it :-? And what I also don't get is our next door neighbours who walk past their green bin to put a cardboard box for example in the black one. Recycling just isn't in their radar (although we're doing our best to educated them :lol:, at least their newspapers go in the green one). But they still have an overflowing black bin every week, a family of four, where the children are in their twenties. I don't think I could do that if I tried!
Last edited by Amanda on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 pm

We were allowed use out garden bin for houshold refuse if needed :wink:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes, I was watching the news last night too and was shocked that people would want to be walking past and living next to rubbish.

It is terrible that there are areas that still haven't been serviced yet given that the snow and ice has been gone a while round here but the most annoying thing is that it was mounds of cardboard from Christmas presents and broken toys :shock: if they recycled this in the first place the bins wouldn't be full. We managed to go to the tip a couple of days after Christmas as we just had too much cardboard and paper waste for the bin, it was a trek as our local tip has been closed for months while its being modernised so we went to one further away. We wouldn't have just dumped it in the street :shock: . Fair enough, some people don't have access to cars but a lot of people do and just can't be bothered.

I see it a lot local to where I work, black bins (general waste) are the only ones I see put out and they are always piled high with waste that could be recycled and more bags next to them. I don't know how they get away with it, we are told to make sure our bin lid is shut or it might not be taken away.

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 pm

We aren't too bad here. our bins have been emptied today first time since christmas eve and peoples bins were overflowing but not too bad. Our blue bin(recycling) won't be emptied till the 11th and mine is completley full. I have a massive box in the back yard filled with cardboard ready to be recycled but as I don't have use of the car anymore I can't get it to the tip. Have to put it out with the blue bin and hope they take it.
The thing that annoys me more than rubbish is the fact that our back lane is filled with dog poo :puke: :puke: Why can't people pick it up makes me soooo :gaah: :furious:

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I was shocked at the sheer amount of black bags.
It was 4 weeks between collections here too because of the snow, but no one has left any rubbish out luckily.
I didn't find it an issue because we compost etc... but imagine if you have a child in disposibles! :puke: :giggle:
But yes, I think people should be having a serious think about how much waste they are producing.
I feel the councils can't win. They are slated for not being able to collect, despite the reason being beyond their control and yet, I'm sure if they had sent the bin lorries out in the snow, the same people would have been up in arms, if skidding, sliding bin lorries had bumped their cars...as would the unions, health and safety etc!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Well i posted about this a few weeks ago on here becuase we didnt get a collection for 2 weeks and our council wouldnt allow us to put extra bags out for collection when they did finally make it... Our tip wont take household rubbish (they will however recyle platics, glass etc etc etc) but kitchen rubbish/general rubbish cannot be taken to the tip/recyle centre...

Im all for recycling but we still manage to fill our household bin in 2 weeks and then had an overflow of it...what are you meant to do with it?? Luckily my neighbour who lives alone let me put a couple of bags in her bin but otherwise i would have had to put it out somewhere? I have no garage etc to store it in either so it would have gone out on the drive and got soggy/torn open by foxes etc :-?

ETA my beef was with the council, i can deal with non collections due to bad weather, no problem...I wouldnt suggest putting rubbish collectors in danger but the councils need to deal with it properly... people are going to still gather rubbish even if it cant be collected...

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment