White vinegar

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

White vinegar

Postby elliebear » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi all
Seen lots of recommendations for white vinegar - but where do you buy it?
I have just seen it in the supermarkets - it seems a bit expensive and is only available in quite small bottles?
I am wondering if it is possible to get a big gallon container and save some money??

Also where is the cheapest place to get bicarb of soda?

Thanks!! :-?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: White vinegar

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I found white vinegar difficult to find, can't remember where I eventually found it - possibly Wilkinsons. Don't get confused with white wine vinegar like my DH though!! Have to say I thought it was very cheap though, and only available in large bottles (1 litre I think), are you definitely looking at the right stuff?

I buy bicarb from supermarkets for less than £1 a tub and it lasts ages.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 pm

I buy it from Tesco 44p for 568ml's and I use it for everything. I make a spray bottle up with water, washing up liquid and vinegar and use that as a general cleaner for everything. Then use it as a softener in my washing. I can tell the difference to my clothes when I don't use it.

I don't think it's that expensive, especially as I'm now not spending money on any other household cleaner or fabric softener ;)

There is somewhere I've found it online too, but would have to hunt the link out.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 pm

I mix white vinegar and water together in a spray bottle and use it like that for cleaning. I just buy the bottles in the supermarket, it takes me a while to get through usually. It's usually labelled distilled malt vinegar I think.
Bicarb I buy in boxes from Wilkinsons, I think it's under £1 and you get a lot more in the box than you do in the baking section of the supermarket ;)

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01 pm

indigosky2k wrote:I buy it from Tesco 44p for 568ml's and I use it for everything. I make a spray bottle up with water, washing up liquid and vinegar and use that as a general cleaner for everything. Then use it as a softener in my washing. I can tell the difference to my clothes when I don't use it.

I also get mine from Tesco and use it the same way. Works great :D

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone!
Now I just have to use up all my various bottles of less enviro-friendly stuff :(

My avatar
caz88
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby caz88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:07 pm

You can get large (5L) bottles of white vinegar in asian supermarkets (that is where I get mine) but don't buy the pickling vinegar like I did once :oops: . I lso use it for everything, cleaning, drains, windows, washing, de-scaling.

Return to Natural Living and the Environment