hf1

Composting ( trying not to sing the Mr bloom theme tune)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Composting ( trying not to sing the Mr bloom theme tune)

Postby Caroline » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Our composter attracts rats so we have stopped using it now :( We had it on paving slabs and were very careful not to drop anything en-route. Everything now goes in the brown Council food bin.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 pm

We just have a normal composter, cheapish one from B&Q but phone your council first as sometimes they give them out for free or at discounted prices. We don't put meat in it but it gets filled up quickly enough from veg peelings and the like! I make little bags out of newspaper and flour/water glue, and keep them on the counter, chuck stuff in throughout the day and get DH to throw the whole thing in the compost bin (aka Slug Bucket :wink: There's a LOT of giant slugs in there).

Wool, Paper and egg boxes can also go in. It can be left to just sit there and do it's thing, but will go a bit faster if it's stirred up every now and then. Apparently weeing on it is good too (although easier for men, of course) as it warms the mixture and adds some sort of nutrient. If you use CSP, the soaking water can go in too, but only add liquids if it looks very dry, which isn't normally the case if you're mostly throwing in veggies. A couple of inches of grass clippings as a layer can heat things up in there as well, or a fleece blanket on it (No need for that really though)

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 pm

I've just got one of the slatted wooden composting crate thingies for my birthday (finally, our "free-standing" composting pile was getting out of hand!! :hohoho: ).
Question though, do I need a lid for it? Haven't got one currently, but then we haven't been putting much food waste on it as yet - we've been using the council brown bin - but I'm hoping to make small steps to getting my own veggie plot up & running over the next couple of years and wanted to start by getting compost together for it :D

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri May 06, 2011 3:22 pm

No, you don't need a lid for composting :)

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I've been composting for 2 years now but the stuff at the bottom still has some dry twigs/plant matter in it. Do you think I could still use it? Our composter is an old coal bunker so it is really difficult to stir up, I did add some accelerator last summer though.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 pm

We had a wormery for 4 years, I gave it away on freecycle though, as between the chickens, a dog, and the rabbit, our food waste is non existent! I have just asked the council to remove the previous allotment tenants home made pallet compost heap as its 2.5 m high and 3.5m wide.. seems a shame, but it doesn't seem to have been used for composting, more of a rubbish dump full of old plastic, tyres and other non compostables LOL
I just bought 2 330ltr bins from the council instead to use on the allotment. A, for the fact they wont take up so much space, they decompose the contents quicker, you don't need to turn them, and in the summer, if you have filled the composter, it will decompose in less than 3 months ready for the autumn sowing. We won't make compost at home anymore, we will take any non wanted kitchen left overs we have left, after the animals have had what they will, and garden refuse down to the bins at the allotment.

This is where we got ours, it gives you your latest offers for your particular area. When I told them it was for an allotment, instead of the 210ltr bin for £2 plus the second for half price .. yup ie.. £3 for two bins ;) We got two of the large bins for the same price :)

Water butts ended up cheaper at wilkinsons, so I will use them instead for that purpose, or buy a 1000 litre agri tank from ebay or a local farm :)
The wormery was fun, and the liquid it produced was probably the best of it all. I have bottles and bottles of wormery juice ready to now use on the allotment :)

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sugarplum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:29 pm

50ftQueenie wrote:"This is my allotment, there's such a lot to see. With my compostarium there is no place I'd rather be......"

hahaha my children love thAT show!
also gigglebiz!

umm, i had a composter from my local council, it was £10 for a 40 ltr composter instead of £50. If you call them they may have a scheme in your area!!

Previous

Return to Natural Living and the Environment