hf1

Family cloth!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Family cloth!

Postby knees_on » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 am

Right, I have had enough!! We ran out of toilet roll yesterday and it was too late to go to the shop and I kept thinking if I could use wipes for wees that might eek it out enough to last til I get some more from the shop today. Then i thought we may as well convert really as its not going to be very bad and would be great for the kids to get properly clean.

However....I cannot get my head round using cloth for no.2s :oops: That just seems a whole messy nightmare. Now I know I use cloth nappies and it shouldn't be any different but I'm a bit of a wuss really. I can't stand the squdgy pooey ones and quite often if they won't come off in the toilet I use toliet roll to scrape them off. And I find especially with the kids there is a lot of stuff on the toilet roll when they've been and I'm not cleaning that off each wipe before it goes in the toilet. And somehow baby poo is not so offensive.

So if anyone out there uses family cloth for all how do you overcome this?

Also if I tell the kids to use cloth for wees am I going to end up with lots of cloth in the toilet and cloth used for poos anyway. Could it work???

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Family cloth!

Postby monsterm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Just trying to work out boys v girls in your house. Is it 5 female & 2 male in your house? Then just using cloth for no.1 would drastically reduce the use of paper in the house. TBH I can't get my head around the poop either.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I would say start with wee at first. Get everyone to make a poster for the bathroom with says something about cloth wipes and remembering not to flush. That will get them into the "excitement"/ make it fun and also be a good reminder.
Maybe everyone could have either own colour so DD1 is green , DD2 is purple ect ect .
Keep us updated!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Phew! Some replies, I was beginning to think all the family-clothers had gone!!!

Well I had a chat to the kids and they were keen to try so I cut up some flannelette sheets as still haven't been out to get some toilet roll as feeling lousy. Kids helped me distribute in each (3) bathroom. Then they promptly ALL went tothe toilet!! :hohoho: Everyone seems to like it, really soft in comparison and DD3 (3) keeps shouting from the bathroom, I didn't flush the wipe Mummy! So you never know she might remember!

Spoke to DH about it at lunchbreak and he thought it was a great idea. He has always hated how much toilet roll us girls get through :oops: So yes, I'm hoping with the 5-2 gender ratio, it should make a difference. And I finally found the really old thread about this and read the best way (TMI warning!!!) for no.2s is one wipe with loo roll first then cloth. We will see how we go and I may convert in the future. Not yet though!

Now to go and make a wetbag for each bathroom....

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:27 pm

OOh I couldn't get my head round doing that, buckets of big people poop wipes grosses me out :giggle: And I am sure there is bound to be the odd wipe or 2 goes down the loo possible leading to a blockage. Is a good idea in principle though but urgh not for me :giggle:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:13 pm

I have a bunch of cloth wipes stacked up in the loos. I don't always remember to use them, and often there's none there if a wash has just been done :roll: but they do save a lot of loo roll, and I don't mind what's been wiped on them, they all get chucked in the nappy bucket, poop is poop regardless of who is comes from :lol: DH not keen on the idea himself, but it works well for me and Molly (and she hasn't thrown any in the loo yet but she still uses a potty and leaves them in there). Cloth wipes especially rock for when AF arrives :wink:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 pm

I've been going to post a question about this for a few days. We're always running out of loo paper, not to mention the masses of the stuff Kacie wastes all over the floor :evil: I have no problem with washing it, it'll just go in the nappy washes, and I mentioned it to DH and he's totally up for it.

I was wondering what people use and how many we'd need for the 3 of us when I wash nappies 3 times a week?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm

i made wipes 8 in x 4.5 ins and they are perfect for a widdle wipe and i am going on 6 each per day to start so taht's 30 x 3. That.s a lot to make!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Kirstyh wrote:OOh I couldn't get my head round doing that, buckets of big people poop wipes grosses me out :giggle: And I am sure there is bound to be the odd wipe or 2 goes down the loo possible leading to a blockage. Is a good idea in principle though but urgh not for me :giggle:

for now I totally agree Kirsty! But then i think if i can convert to csp and cloth wipes for baby maybe i will convert to it all one day!

Eta: DH just come out the shop with 2 packs toilet roll!!

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment