Naural cleaning recipes

Postby ericaj1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:46 am

I've found a few recipes, hope they help someone:

Aromatic Carpet Cleaner recipe
2 cups baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 to 5 bay leaves
1 tablespoon cloves

Mix all ingredients together and keep in a closed container. Sprinkle on carpet and let sit for a couple of hours. Vacuum carpet in usual manner.

All-Purpose Insect Spray recipe
1 garlic bulb, chopped or ground
1 quart water
1 small onion, chopped or ground
1 tablespoon liquid soap detergent
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Mix garlic, onion, cayenne pepper and water; add liquid soap detergent. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Aluminum Cleaner recipe
1/4 cup cream of tartar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons soap flakes

Mix cream of tartar and baking soda together. Add vinegar and stir to make a paste. Stir in soap flakes. Store mixture in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Rub small amount of the cleaner onto aluminum and scour with fine steel wool.

All-Purpose Quick Shine recipe
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 1/4 cups water
1 spray bottle

Pour vinegar and water into the spray bottle. Shake gently to combine.

To use, spray on and wipe off. This is mild and safe to use for all surfaces.

Brass Cleaner/Polish recipe
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour

CAUTION: DO NOT USE ON LACQUERED ITEMS.

Wash the item in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry. Mix ingredients to form paste. Apply paste and rub vigorously. Re-wash in soapy water; rinse and dry.

Citrus Floor Cleaner recipe
1 gallon hot water
2 tablespoons liquid soap
15 drops orange essential oil
8 drops lemon essential oil or 1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix together and wash floors.

Drain Cleaner recipe
1/2 cup salt
1/8 cup cream of tartar
1/2 cup baking soda
6 cups boiling water

Mix salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar and pour directly into the drain. Follow with boiling water. Allow to set for several hours - overnight if possible. Flush with cool water.

Furniture Polish (multi-purpose) recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 quart warm water

Mix well. Store in a spray bottle. This is best if used warm so, before using, place bottle in a pan of hot water for a while. After applying, rub dry with a soft, clean cloth.

Gentle Silver Polish recipe
1/4 cup mashed, pureed banana skins
1 tablespoon baking soda

Mix well to make a paste. Apply to silver, rub, then buff dry.

Ink Remover recipe
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon borax

Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Place the portion of fabric with the ink stain between several thicknesses of paper toweling. Paint the spot with the Ink Remover. Wait a few minutes, then sponge area with cool water. Repeat until stain is gone.

Microwave Cleaner recipe
1 cup water
1 quart warm water
1/4 cup baking soda

To loosen dried-on food, put 1 cup water in a microwavable cup and heat in the microwave until it boils; turn off the microwave and let the water sit for 1 minute. Dissolve baking soda in 1 quart warm water and, using a sponge or cloth, wash the interior of the microwave with this solution to clean and deodorize it.

Refrigerator Interior Cleaner recipe
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon lemon extract or vanilla extract
4 cups water

Mix; wash interior of refrigerator.

Plastic Cleaner recipe
2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
3 cups water

Mix and store in a spray container. Spray on and wipe dry.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:11 am

:D :D :D thanks for all that Erica, some great ideas there!! Not sure how I missed this must of been when my markers weren't working, great post!

Another one I do for the microwave is put the juice of 1/2 lemon in a microwave proof bowl of hot water then microwave for 5 minutes, this steams off all the crud and then you just wipe it off and it smells nice too!

My avatar
setierney
Clothie
Clothie

Postby setierney » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:49 am

WHITE VINEGAR RULES!!!

I have been using 1 part vinegar + 1 part water + 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda to clean the kitchen. Everything is spotless - even cleaned my cooker top which has been dirty for ages :oops:

My avatar
Chell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Chell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:31 pm

Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, it is really good for wipng down surfaces (careful what you use it on, no polished surfaces, etc). I use it on my draining board and work surfaces.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Naural cleaning recipes

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:45 pm

laundry gloop - put in the drum instead of washing powder

4 litres of water
1 bar soap (get 4 bars for £1 in cheapie shops!)
1/2 cup washing soda crystals
10-20 drops essential oil

bring water to boil in a large saucepan, grate soap and dissovle in the water. add washing soda and essential oil and stir until dissovled. store in a large tub. use 1/2 cupful each wash.

i accidentally used 1.5 litres of water instead of 4 and ended up with a cool jelly blob! cut it into squares! a 1inch cube just goes straight in the machine! vinegar in the drawer is also a great softener xx

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Just seen this post -some good suggestions here. Anyone got a good solution for murky looking limescale down the loo? I use Ecover toilet cleaner but it still looks like I haven't cleaned the loo and I'm sure my in-laws are muttering when they visit (or maybe I'm paranoid?!). I don't want to chuck bleach down it - anyone got any good ideas?

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:14 pm

citric acid is the best thing for cleaning porcelain, not so easy to get hold of unfortunately but fab fab stuff.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 pm

JennyWren wrote:Just seen this post -some good suggestions here. Anyone got a good solution for murky looking limescale down the loo? I use Ecover toilet cleaner but it still looks like I haven't cleaned the loo and I'm sure my in-laws are muttering when they visit (or maybe I'm paranoid?!). I don't want to chuck bleach down it - anyone got any good ideas?

Fraid I gave up on this one and went back to bleach. Ecover loo cleaner is crap! Guess lemon juice and salt to scrub might be worth a go??

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Last time I took a palate knife to it, but not sure the landlady is going to appreciate the scratch marks!!

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment