hf1

How to dye a RS?

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

How to dye a RS?

Postby Rubyhall » Thu May 31, 2012 6:03 am

I want to dye my RS preferably 3 stripes of different shades of the same colour- if that makes sense? Have any of you done this? How would I do it? My RS is a gathered not pleated shoulder.
Thanks in advance!!
x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How to dye a RS?

Postby happytails » Thu May 31, 2012 6:26 am

You need to do one colour at a time. For example dunk the first section in the due and then it needs to fix, rinse and then the next section, fix, rinse and final section, fix, rinse etc or you could have 3 bowls of the due and drape the fabric into each bowl and do it that way. The water and dye should soak up and blend together between colours.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along. I presume it's 100% cotton? X

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu May 31, 2012 2:41 pm

I would reccommend procion dye too as dylon fades easily.

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm

You could do a graduation along the length, on my phone so will add links later but basicly you'd suspend the ring sling above the bucket of dye by the rings and dunk all of it in then every few minutes you'd pull a couple of cms out by raising the height of the rings. The end near the rings would end up a pale shade of whatever you use and the tail would be a deep shade

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Great thanks everyone,
Yes it's 100% cotton,
Where can you get procion dyes from?
can't wait to try, think doing the dye along the length is a good idea as around the rings it's obviously sewn so I can't get it flat to get the dye job right doing it that way.
x

Return to Prams, Slings and Things