hf1

Which is the best type of sling for me

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Which is the best type of sling for me

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Seen as we are getting a lot more posts about slings recently, I thought this might benefit having a post of its own :)
Many people start out on their babywearing journey using a narrow seated high street carrier, and find that after a while, they become uncomfy, often pulling on backs and shoulders. Here is a list of the different types of carriers that you can find on the market. They are generally wide seated carriers, which helps distribute babys weight much much better and are generally much comfier than your typical high street carrier. There are lots of types/styles/colours/designs to choose from so you are bound to find the perfect sling for you.
I havent included the bag type carriers in this list as they are very unsafe for newborns, and have even been linked with deaths, so I would not recommend that anyone purchased a bag style carrier. For more info see HERE

Stretchies
What they are - A stretchy, is a long piece of stretchy fabric, usually a 100% cotton knit, or a cotton/lycra mix. They have different amounts of stretch depending on the brand, so one brand may suit you better than another.
Pros - Great for pop in pop-outable carries. you can pre-tie it and leave it tied on you all day and just put baby in and out when required. I adore stretchies for little ones as they just feel so snuggly. they are fairly cheep new or second hand.
Cons - They can be quite hot as its a lot of fabric on you. Some can be quite heavy, again as its a lot of fabric. They do loosen so you have to tighten them often (easy to do ) and they are only really suitable for squishies, so you will need to move onto something else at 4-6m

Wovens
What they are - A woven is a piece of specially woven fabric (not your everyday sewing fabric!) It is woven in a way that if you get a hole, the fabric will not tear along and allow your child to fall. They have very little horizontal or vertical stretch, but they do have a slight diagonal stretch. This stretch allows the wrap to mould to your body making it very comfortable. they can be made form a wide variety of blends, the most common are 100% cotton, or cotton with bamboo/linen/silk/wool
Pros - Can be used from birth. Come is all different sizes depending on the type of carry you wish to do. Come in some amazing different dyes/weaves/patterns so that you can find pretty much anything you can think of. A woven will last you from birth to toddler hood and beyond. There are so many different carries that you can do, so you will find the ones that are most comfortable for you and your frame. They have a very high resale value, so you wont be loosing much in the long run. They come in a wide range of sizes from 2m-5.7m in length.
Cons - There is more of a learning curve with wovens than any other type of sling. They cost a lot more, and 'can' be more delicate than other types of slings (depending on what you buy). They are not so poppable (tho there are a few) so you have to re-tie everytime making them a bit more time consuming (tho practice makes perfect ). they have to be 'broken in'. A brand new wrap is often hard to tie with as the fabric isnt broken in (this is why pre-loved slings are better for newbies)

Hybrids
What they are - A hybrid wrap is a cross between a stretchy and a woven. It Has much less stretch than a stretchy, but more than a woven does.
Pros - Much more supportive than a stretchy wrap allowing you to use it for longer. Reasonably priced. Can be used from birth to toddlerhood. Great for pop in pop-outable carries. you can pre-tie it and leave it tied on you all day and just put baby in and out when required.
Cons - They can be quite hot as its a lot of fabric on you. Some can be quite heavy, again as its a lot of fabric. They do loosen so you have to tighten them often (easy to do ). Not suitable for heavy toddlers, or pre-schoolers

Ring slings
What they are - A short piece of woven fabric sewn at one end to a set of metal rings. the other end is threaded through the rings, and can be adjusted. This creates a pouch for baby to sit in. Can be bought in wrap style woven fabrics, or normal cotton
Pros - Reasonably priced. Can be used from birth to toddlerhood and beyond. Relatively easy to use. Very quick up and downs and much less of a learning curve than wovens. You can do front and back carries with ring slings.
Cons - They only sit on one shoulder, so can pull your back a little. they are not generally as comfortable as a carrier that goes across both shoulders. You have to make a good effort to get a good seat, as this is what stops the baby from falling. If you have a leg straightener/wiggle baby, then ring slings are not as good as the leg straightening un-pops the seat and the baby can fall. May need a larger size if your DH is bigger than you, so you would have a longer tail.

Mei tai
What they are - Also known as Asian carriers. They are a carrier with a body piece, a waist tie, and 2 long shoulder straps. They do not have any buckles and tie on. they come in different fabrics including wrap fabrics, and normal cotton
Pros - Wide price range from budget to the more extravagant. Very very quick for front and back carries. Very very easy to use. Comes in a wide variety of patterns/shapes so there is one to suit everyone. Most are reversable, so you can have a nice girly pattern on one side for you, and something plain on the back for daddy.
Cons - You have to be aware of the sizes of MT's as the length changes from carrier to carrier, and also from age to age of child. you can buy a larger MT and then roll it up so that it is suitable for a younger baby, but then you have more fabric around your middle, otherwise you have to buy a baby one, a toddler one, and a preschool one as your child grows. They are not really suitable for tiny babies, and should be used once baby gets some head control. As they come in such a wide variety of shapes, what suits one, may not suit another so there can be some trial and error as to the best brand for you.

Soft Structured carriers/buckles
What they are - The closest to the high street carriers. These have a body piece with a waist strap, and shoulder straps, and fasted with buckles rather than needing to be tied. Think a baby backpack and you have an idea.
Pros - Often the favoured choice of daddies as they look more manly Can be used from birth depending on the brand. Very easy to use. Comes in a wide variety of patterns/shapes so there is one to suit everyone. Most are reversible, so you can have a nice girly pattern on one side for you, and something plain on the back for daddy. Very quick to use, and you don't have any tails to drop in the mud so perfect for bad weather. Can get some with padded waists, which gives some nice lumbar support. can be used on the front or the back.
Cons - As they come in such a wide variety of shapes, what suits one, may not suit another so there can be some trial and error as to the best brand for you. You have to faff with the length of the straps when different users are using it. if you both use the same carrier, this can be a little irritating. Can be tricky to get a good seat (depending on the make of SSC) Often quite expensive (tho do have a good re-sale value) If there is a very large size difference between you and DH then you might not be able to just have 1 as it may not fit you both.

Podegi/Pods
What they are - Pods are very similar to Mei tai's, but they do not have a waist strap. the body/blanket has 2 long shoulder straps that tie.
Pros - Suitable from head holding stage to pre-schoolers. Very easy to use, and quick to use. Can be used for either front or back carries. Suitable for a wide range of body shapes/sizs, so one size generally fits all.
Cons - Pods are pretty hard to find as they are not as popular as other types of carriers. Because they are hard to find, they are often quite expensive. They have a larger learning curve than a Mei tai, as there is no strap around your waist to stop the baby from falling, so you have to hold onto the baby until the carrier is tied. When using with a smaller baby, the extra fabric from the body/blanket section of the carrier is surplus, and so can be a little cumbersome, and get in the way.
Last edited by red_dwarf on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Which is the best type of sling for me

Postby Mareth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Great post!

You forgot about podaegis though (most people do :lol: ) They look a bit like a mei tai but without the bottom straps and with longer top straps, the body or 'blanket' tends to be longer than a mei tai. Really great carriers and really flexible, one size fits all as they're so easily adjustable.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

what a fab post
:thumbsup:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Would make a good sticky x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Mareth wrote:Great post!

You forgot about podaegis though (most people do :lol: ) They look a bit like a mei tai but without the bottom straps and with longer top straps, the body or 'blanket' tends to be longer than a mei tai. Really great carriers and really flexible, one size fits all as they're so easily adjustable.

You are right I did! Will add them now

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:54 am

Great post!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:01 am

littlesez wrote:Would make a good sticky x

It is. :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:18 am

I am tempted by hybrid i liek the sound of it :lookround: I already have 3 slings though :giggle:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:52 am

Great post :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Prams, Slings and Things