hf1

Double buggy recommendations

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Double buggy recommendations

Postby cuppachaplz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:36 pm

I've just realised that I probably need to think about a double buggy.
Personally, I'm happy to double wrap/sling, but I struggle to get DH to use one do not a hope with 2.

Suggestions for a double buggy
Physio criteria for Percy:-
Should be supportive
Needs to lie flat/fully recline due to poor head control and neck instability issues
Ideally high weight limit as he's likely to be in it a long time (so 25kg as a minimum)
Tummy bar if possible
SaLT would like rear facing as an option for signing whilst walking

What I'd like
Off road-ish, prefer pneumatic tyres
Suitable for newborn.

Heeeeeelp :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Double buggy recommendations

Postby ems101 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:19 am

I love love our mountain buggy. It's old style urban, reclines well and I've uses it with parent facing cot attachment but the seats don't turn on our one. Pneumatic tyres, very nimble and i can get it in most shop doors!

It's done so well for us and is only just starting to struggle with James 18kg and Ben 14kg in together. I've uses it with my eldest on a buggy board too. I do about 40 miles a week in it, it was second hand to us and has lasted for our first two and now, the second two. I do a fair bit off road, invested in thorn proof inner tyres, (about £7 instead of £3). I think the newer ones have a tummy bar.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:28 am

Looks like the new one can have a parent facing seat, can't see how it works though....

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:32 am

https://mountainbuggy.com/uk/Products/b ... necEf-nyBY

Looks like a separate attachment. Up to 15kg for one child. Ben is almost two, on the 90ish %centile and 14kg, so not perfect but should last Percy for another year or so

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:48 am

What about Phil and Teds would they work? If I needed a double that is probably what I'd get.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:32 pm

What about Phil and Teds would they work?

I don't think so @clothmama as only one can lie flat at a time. It says it is only suitable for one baby (and a toddler) and Percy's needs essentially mean that he is (mobility-wise) a heavy baby. Actually, not even that heavy, as Jacob was bigger than Percy is now at 8w :giggle:

Thanks @ems101.
I've emailed mountain buggy to ask how heavy the seat unit will hold. Given that Percy is not sitting, or in much control of his head at over 12m, he is unlikely to be walking by 2; current developmental picture would put it at about 4 or 5, but hoping to avoid the expense of a special need buggy if I can find one which is good up to over 25kg.

Thanks again

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:39 pm

The add on seat, tge parent facing one is up to 15kg. Sounds like that would be 2-3 yrs for Percy. Ordinary seat I think is 20kg which would then be forward facing but would last til 5 ish (jen is 6 and 20kg)

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks.
Just waiting for them to email back.
The jogger which we have now is 25kg, which physic suggested should be adequate as if he still needs a buggy by then, he will need a proper disabilities one for the length.
Jacob was over 20kg at 3 (li'l fatty :giggle:), so my perspective is probably way out :/

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 pm

I've got the rear facing seat as its the same one also fits on a P&T navigator! Unfortunately I wouldn't say that it would be suitable for your needs, it has no recline & sits at the angle of a baby car seat, it also doesn't have much support with the fabric being sort of hammock style & no leg/foot rest.
They're aren't any side by sides that are parent facing, light & a decent size when folded that I know of. I'm a childminder with a buggy addiction!
Have you looked at the city select? It's a great tandem.
I use an out n about 360 most, I also have the mountain duet & P&T navigator but none of the children I have are in them for long or with me for more than 3 days a week. I always keep the hoods down to aid communication but I don't think that would help if signing.
I would recommend that whatever you go with get air tyres as they are essential for manoeuvrability with heavier children, put slime in them to avoid punctures.
Child weight range is something that's going to stand in your way though as most only go up to 15kg so do check.
:D

Next

Return to Prams, Slings and Things