hf1

Is the baba sling safe ?

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Is the baba sling safe ?

Postby sleepymummy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 pm

I was looking at getting a sling for bump to use from birth, I saw the baba sling in TK Max for £12.99 - but it looks quite like the ones that were said to be unsafe because of the babies that had died in slings in the US. The more I look the more confused I get. I think its different but I'm really not sure :oops: With Bethany I only had a baby carrier from Mothercare and I didnt really like it
Can any one tell me if the Baba Sling is safe to use with a newborn or would you recommend something different.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Is the baba sling safe ?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm

I can't really answer whether it's safe or not but I wouldn't recommend it - they're not that comfortable to be honest - I used one before I found out about better slings ;)

If you like the style I'd suggest a ring sling but there are lots of lovely slings - pop over to slingmeet.co.uk and find your local sling meet and get to try a few different ones :)

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

the recalled slings are the bag type so flat bottomed and stretchy sides looks like a handbag.

never had a baba sling.

slingrider is the USA brand

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 pm

It's safe if used correctly but I wouldn't buy one because IMO there are much better slings out there.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 am

My friend lent me a Baba sling when my DD was newborn. I tried it a couple of times, but didn't get on with it at all, and my DD didn't like it either. This time I am going to use a stretchy wrap (got a Moby off Classifieds). Definitely recommend Sling Meet, you can go and try out different slings to see which suits you and your baby.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 am

I agree with the others.i got one but sold it pretty quickly as I didn't find it at all comfy!

My avatar
ruth+daisy+poppy
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ruth+daisy+poppy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:56 am

Same, sold mine very quickly. Much better slings out there. Just couldn't get comfy.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:59 am

Funny I saw these in Boots, Mothercare and TK Maxx yesterday - they didnt look very comfortable :?

Ive been looking for a Moby Wrap too - they seem much more comfortable and have a good few positions to carry your baby in too. You can pick these up from between £25 - £35 on classifieds or Ebay.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:21 am

The baba sling is actually quite different in design to the brands that were recalled in the US (even though it looks somewhat similar) but there are much better slings out there IMO. We had a baba sling but we used it very rarely. DD seemed quite comfortable in it but it hurt my back. Stretchy wraps (like a Kari Me or Moby) are much more popular among sling fans.

Next

Return to Prams, Slings and Things