Umbilical cord ties?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Umbilical cord ties?

Postby clothmama » Wed May 07, 2014 10:09 am

:wave: :wave: I'm seriously considering using ties instead of a cord clamp. My colleagues will probably think I've gone bonkers (although we do apparently respect wishes, even Lotus births where ever we can!) :giggle:

I've just read through some old threads on it and noticed some of you talking about doing it @queen bee @laceybat @ems101 you showed interest, did you end up doing it? Has anyone else done it? Pros and cons? Any photos?

If you made your own can you give me a simple instructions (or is it literally just plaiting some thread together?

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Umbilical cord ties?

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 am

We did it for Oscar. The picture in the rainbow nappies thread shows his tie. It was soooo much nicer than Ed's clamp. I will never use a clamp again.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

Yes used one with Ross his cord was off in 5days. Where Ryan's took 2 weeks. Not sure if we have any pics

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Wed May 07, 2014 11:01 am

If we had #3 ( we won't!) I'd definitely go for cord ties and delayed cord cutting x

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am

here's my squishy with his cord tie.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 am

I always mean to and never get round to it. It took ben a while to loose his cord so rhe clamp was quite annoying.

Whats a lotus birth? @clothmama?!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 am

You can make your own so easily.
I've had friends who have crochet some (simple chain and some dc (uk terms) with some 4 ply. Or you can platt them them.

I'd personally use cotton rather than wool because you can wash it more easily.

Friends I've known have made it, then put it through the microwave /put in boiling water to sterilise it and then keep in a sealed plastic bag.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 am

Bugglyboo wrote:here's my squishy with his cord tie.

Gorgeous Jess! Did you colour co-ordinate the hat and cord tie on purpose? :giggle: @Bugglyboo

ems101 wrote:Whats a lotus birth? @clothmama?!

I have never seen one but it is where you don't cut or clamp the cord at all and you have to carry the placenta around with the baby until the cord detatches from the baby. Apparently you can get slings with a placenta pouch built in to help with this!!!! I absolutely would support any womans wishes but this one is not for me, the thought of the smell of a 5 day old placenta is a bit :ill: but each to their own!!

docmaggoo wrote:I've had friends who have crochet some (simple chain and some dc (uk terms) with some 4 ply. Or you can platt them them.

Thanks Jen, hadn't spotted any crochet ones. I have some embroidery cotton which everyone seems to rate so I'll do up a few with plaiting and crochet and see what I like best. Seems like they are up to 30 cm long (that seems a bit much) others I've seen say 6-8 ".

Cool another thing sorted (and thing to do to add to my list lol!)

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Haha I didn't coordinate at all. I never coordinate! Matching is fluke in this house.

I just plaited embroidery thread, boiled then froze. We just grabbed them out of the freezer when I went into labour. I made two in case one got lost etc so now he has a spare one in his memory book.

Next

Return to Pregnancy and Conception