Gifted PayPal Policy

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Gifted PayPal Policy

Postby MrC » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:23 am

As of 20th February 2009 we we politely ask that you not post classifieds that require or ask the buyer to pay by "gifted" or "donated" PayPal nor use the private messaging system to the same end. This includes specifically: Remittances to family and friends, donations or any other process present or future that is used by PayPal to facilitate payments that does not protect the buyer from possible abuse through lack of available arbitrage in case of a dispute.

If you wish to charge the buyer for the costs you incur by using PayPal you should add the costs of the Paypal transaction to your classified listing as you would do with postage and packing. That way everyone is clear about the total cost of buying your object.

Gifted PayPal is intended to be a method by which people who are receiving money as a gift do not have to pay the transaction fees levied by PayPal on the sale of goods and services.

IMPORTANT - When you use gifted PayPal as a buyer you are NOT protected by PayPal's dispute process. By definition you have freely given money without the requirement for a good or service to be provided in return. This is obviously open to abuse as the buyer by using gifted PayPal has effectively waived the right to initiate a PayPal dispute based on object not received, object not as described etc.

When you offer an item for sale on Cloth Nappy Tree Classifieds you must offer the buyer the protection provided by a normal PayPal transaction. If you do not adhere to this policy we will:

1. First and second transgressions: Your posts will be removed and you will be issued with a warning.
2. On your third transgression your post will be removed and you will be banned from the forum.

If you do not like the fees imposed by PayPal please complain to them and not us.

We have introduced this policy by popular demand to protect members from unscrupulous individuals and to remove the complication when working out the real cost of an object. BE TRANSPARENT.

You may actually find your objects sell better by adhering to this policy as many members have complained about the lack of protection Gifted PayPal affords them and others frequently complain that they do not understand the system and therefore are hesitant use it. Just do a search for "Gifted PayPal", you'll see how unpopular it is and how much distrust and uncertainty it generates.

Be aware that all communication related to any transaction made through this forum is logged and scanned for breaches of this policy in order to protect the best interests of our members.

If you are still considering asking for "Gifted" PayPal, even after reading this, then please consider the following: We provide this forum and the classifieds section to you at no cost. It is run by volunteers who receive no payment for their services. Is it fair for you to perpetuate a situation where people could potentially be compromised and create more unpaid work for these volunteers, just so that you can make 50 pence more profit on your nappy?

For ease of calculation when posting your ads, here's a calculator:

http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/

My avatar
melly
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Gifted PayPal Policy

Postby melly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:19 pm

this is the message i received from ebay 10th sept 2009. im sure everyone will be pleased about this! ....fingers crossed it will work out!....for current ebay users it will come into force 23rd oct 2009, for new ebay users it will be immediate, as detailed below:

eBay Buyer Protection

Under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy [v1], if we resolve a dispute in the buyer's favour, we may:

remove funds from the seller's PayPal account to reimburse the buyer for the costs of both the item and original postage fee. This is in accordance with the seller's authorisation provided to us under the new User Agreement [v2] ; or,
where there are insufficient funds in the seller's PayPal account or where PayPal is not the reimbursement method of the seller, directly refund the buyer for the cost of the item and the original postage cost. In this case, the seller must reimburse us in full in a timely manner for an amount equivalent to the sum we paid to the buyer.

Sellers must have a reimbursement method on file with eBay at all times. The reimbursement method can be changed by contacting eBay and searching for 'Change My Reimbursement Method'. Where the seller is found at fault, we will notify them and charge the method of reimbursement they have on file.

Changes to the eBay.co.uk User Agreement

The new User Agreement is effective immediately for new members registering on or after today, and from 23rd October 2009 for current members. You don't need to do anything to accept the new User Agreement, but if you don't wish to accept, please, follow these instructions to close your account.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 pm

just deleting what i wrote because i obviously didnt have a clue back then lol
Last edited by smilinglou on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:08 pm

smilinglou wrote:hold on hold on, it's bad that this post asks sellers to add the charge to the total price for nappies for paypal charges as it doesnt always charge even when using the proper payment method rather than gift, it should be up to the buyer to check there is actually a charge, i havent had to pay charges when using paypal payment the proper way so adding charges isnt always needed and people are paying for something that isnt even needed! :|

also adding the charge wont work, when the buyer sends payment paypal then charges the buyer there and then, so adding a charge to the total figure is pointless anyway!? why does this post say to do this?

Hi SmilingLou,

The gifted paypal policy has been put in place on CNT to help protect buyers. I have never received a standard paypal payment which hasn't incurred charges.

The policy states that buyers can add fees if they feel it appropriate and that this should be clearly stated in the advert,

If you wish to charge the buyer for the costs you incur by using PayPal you should add the costs of the Paypal transaction to your classified listing as you would do with postage and packing. That way everyone is clear about the total cost of buying your object.

Please be aware that this policy is policed by the Mods on this site and we do ask everybody to stick by it to enable the classifieds to run successfully and with trust. You may, of course, choose not to buy ans sell on this site if you don't agree with the policy.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:16 pm

smilinglou wrote:hold on hold on, it's bad that this post asks sellers to add the charge to the total price for nappies for paypal charges as it doesnt always charge even when using the proper payment method rather than gift, it should be up to the buyer to check there is actually a charge, i havent had to pay charges when using paypal payment the proper way so adding charges isnt always needed and people are paying for something that isnt even needed! :|

also adding the charge wont work, when the buyer sends payment paypal then charges the buyer there and then, so adding a charge to the total figure is pointless anyway!? why does this post say to do this?

I think you are a little bit confused. In my experience Paypal ALWAYS charges the SELLER fees for receiving a payment unless it is a gift, BUYERS do not usually have to pay fees to Paypal for sending a payment. It is up to the seller whether they incorporate this charge into the price of the nappies or not as stated in the policy -

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:20 pm

As far as I am aware, there is always a charge made to the recipient of the money when a payment is made for "goods" Therefore it is up to the seller to either include these charges in the total price or to ask the buyer to add on an amount to cover these charges. (the paypal calculator is available to assist within your control panel)

It is totally up to the seller and buyer to reach agreement over how the charges are to be paid. All we ask is that sellers never ask for payment to be made as "gifted" in order to avoid the charges as this removes any protection for the buyer in the transaction.

I hope you understand that we only put these rules in place to make this forum a safe environment for people to buy and sell :D

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:25 pm

sorry my fault for not understanding, now it makes sense, so that's why I never get charged, but if the seller has added the charges in the final payment then when they get charged they are covered, I get it, but what if you use the gifted option (bad idea I know) and they have added charges, do they have to say that they've added charges?
I'm a little slow on this one and have bought a few things in the last couple of days and gifted them

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Most people will state in their ad that fees are either included or to be added at cost and then will let you know what they are. Please do not use the gifted option as it is strictly against the rules and not intended to be used for these types of transactions

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:30 pm

smilinglou wrote:sorry my fault for not understanding, now it makes sense, so that's why I never get charged, but if the seller has added the charges in the final payment then when they get charged they are covered, I get it, but what if you use the gifted option (bad idea I know) and they have added charges, do they have to say that they've added charges?
I'm a little slow on this one and have bought a few things in the last couple of days and gifted them

If you pay by gifted and then end up not receiving your items, or there's a problem with them, you have no legal comeback against the seller. That's the (main) reason it's not allowed.

Next

Return to Please read before using Classifieds