I've had enough, no idea what to do

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: I've had enough, no idea what to do

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 am

Wow Amanda that sounds so tough. I have no advice but sending :hug: :hug: :hug: and for you Lexi and Joy both as well. Sounds like it is not totally uncommon to have little ones with poo issues.

My nephew used to have to strip naked to poo and would also only poo at home so would hold all day at school etc. I'm very pleased to report that we had him staying with us recently (the 19 year old that was out from the UK) and I didn't once see him strip naked and he did use our loo so there is an end! :wink:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55 pm

lazylexis wrote:it's hard and DH and i do struggle as it's so frustrating! I think N picks up on it which makes it worse.At one point we were doing 30-40 nappies a day as he was holding on every 5-10 mins!
We try to see it from his point of view.It must be horrid to be scared of doing a poo when it's something u have to do a lot.
In hindsight I think we should have started laxatives hard earlier and not had the constipation,hard stool adding to it. Are u sure Lockie isn't constipated? If he is holding on he is likely to get constipated fairly quickly as the stool at the bottom will get harder & dry. Will he sit on the toilet for 10-20 mins 1-2 times a day even without doing a poo? Initually N wouldn't go near toilet or potty which makes it harder. Once he would sit on the loo he started to be persuaded to poo. To start with it was big rewards like chocolate or a small toy,now he'll go for a sticker. It's hard and it's often a long term thing I'm afraud. Hopefully if u can catch him early it won't be too bad for u

flipping heck 30-40 a day!!!!! i'm not sure if he is constipated, I mean from the standards that is written in that book, then the only sign he is constipated is only going every couple of days. but his actual poo is quite soft. The problem I have using laxatives with him, is that with riley once she needs to go she goes end of, or I can get her going before we go out. Lockie though puts up such a song and dance that I can't leave lola or riley where ever they are. So I really need to time it right for him.

some people on the mom's group over here have suggested getting him to swish the dirty undies in the potty, apparently they get the idea pretty quickly after that!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

:hug: I have no advice as never been through it - but can imagine its really stressful :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Tbh I would think swishing the undies in the potty is the worst thing u could do. Sounds almost like rubbing a dog's nose in it to toilet train them which I think is cruel and not the way to do it. It is more likely to put him off poo further. Doesn't sound like he is constipated atm but they can get constipated pretty quickly from holding on which gets u in a viscous circle and makes the problem worse. Can u back off a bit for a few days and see if being more relaxed about it helps ? The more stressed and tense we get the worse N is- we tried giving him 1 less movicol yesterday and today has been a nightmare!!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't think getting Isaiah to do that would have helped him either. Isaiah has never passed any remotely hard kind of stool which is why I didn't think he was constipated either as I figured that at some point I would see something come out that was more formed. He goes every 2 days now absolutely fine, except for his behaviours I described earlier, and his poos are always quite soft. It took about 8 months in total for him start to improve and as Lazylexis says the more we relaxed the better it got but it is so so hard for everyone :hug:

Previous

Return to Potty Training