hf1

Help. I want to give up and go back to nappies!

My avatar
carlyanne1981
Clothie
Clothie

Help. I want to give up and go back to nappies!

Postby carlyanne1981 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 am

My girl is 25mths, we've been potty training for 5 weeks (since she went on the potty herself and my partner decided we had to jump on the opertunity and try potty training...) but I can't help thinking we were too early.

After 5 weeks we are still having accidents, 2 or 3 a day, some days she's really good, especially if we're out in town she'll tell me she need to go and will hold it til were in the toilets, but at home she has days where she just forgets. Like today, she's just peed on the floor now obilious and an hour ago she coopied down and peed in her clothes right in front of me. She can use the potty herself at home and has had really good days occasionally but I just feel she shouldn't be having so many accidents now!?!?! She doesn't seem to be actually improving.

My mother put her in a nappy yesterday afternoon because we were visiting family and she didn't want accidents, I shouldn't have let her because I'm sure thats why she's being worse today. But I just want to give up now, I'm 23 weeks pregant and absoultely shattered which isn't helping.

I just feel like putting her back in cloth and forgeting about it all ever happened and try again in a few months, she is only 25months herself and I think we just tried too young. But EVERYWHERE I look people say not to go back once you've started!

I really need advice as I don't know what to do for the best :doh:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Help. I want to give up and go back to nappies!

Postby Scotia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:22 am

I'm not giving advice but personally I would keep her in nappies until she's ready. It worked for all of mine and you don't have months of accidents to clean up and pretend to be cheerful about lol.
:hug:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 am

I agree with Eleanor. I'd stop until she's more ready. Follow her lead again, it'll be much easier. Rhys was about a week short of 3 before he trained and we only had about 2 accidents in the next week or so.

My avatar
carlyanne1981
Clothie
Clothie

Postby carlyanne1981 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks ladies,

Have just come off the phone to the health visitor who has advised the same. She said with being pregnant and with xmas around the corner, its not worth the stress or frustration for me or for Sophie, and there's no harm in going back to nappyies for a month or so.

I'm having a very tired & emotional day, you have all made me feel much better.

Thank you and here's to a merry christmas x x x

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 pm

We tried potty training pippa when i thought she was ready and ended up very stressed and put her back in nappies. One day she asked to wear knickers and we only had a handful of accidents, same with over night she one day told me she wanted to keep her knickers on and we only had about two night accidents since. So much easier to do it when there ready xxx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm

:hug:
Both of mine have come out of nappies at 2 years each by their own choice ( refusing to have a nappy on !) both have gone back into nappies as they just weren t ready, once the novelty wore off at 4/5 weeks ;) both times we tried again a few months later when they seemed keen again.
Xxxx

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 am

carlyanne1981 wrote:But EVERYWHERE I look people say not to go back once you've started!

IMO this advice is pedalled by people who started potty training at 2 and doggedly refused to give up untill they cracked it 6 months later ;-)

We had the same - refused to put a nappy on at 25 months. I took the rest of the week off work and it was adisaster - by the Sunday she was witholding and we were both very stressed about it.

We put her back in nappies and two months later tried again, bingo she was dry within a week and dry at night two weeks later.

When they are ready it is easy, it really is, they just get it. Give yourself a break and try again in a couple of months

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 am

I havent got to this point myself but the above advice is what im going to follow. Id rather wait and besides once bought the nappies dont cost you any more money. I totally understand the urgency with potty training when using pull-ups though-theyre extortionate x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 pm

I agree that putting her back in nappies is probably the best course. If she's having lots of accidents, keeping going with the potty training is only going to stress both of you out. Once they are ready, it is oftern really easy as there's not much 'training' involved - they just get on with it! My DD1 PT'd at 30 months (so quite late for a girl). I refused to start earlier with her - despite quite a lot of pressure from various sources - as knew she wasn't ready. But one day she just announced she didn't want to wear a nappy and that was it. She only ever had a handful of accidents.

Next

Return to Potty Training