hf1

Terry nappies for potty training

My avatar
Mallyboo
Clothie
Clothie

Terry nappies for potty training

Postby Mallyboo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:38 am

My mother-in-law keeps telling me terry nappies are best for potty training, because DS will feel when he's wet or dirty and be able to tell me. Has anyone any first hand experience of this?

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Terry nappies for potty training

Postby BekkiLB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm

I think it's really just the same as not adding a fleece liner or tucking inserts Under the stay dry layer. Blaine tells me when he's wet regardless but I did find taking the liners out helpful in the early days. X

My avatar
Mallyboo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mallyboo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 am

The problem is MIL is starting to nag me about potty training. DS will be two in February and has been in terry nappies from the start. It's far too early to start potty training imo and he's totally oblivious at having a wet or dirty nappy at the moment and won't tell me. I think what she says is an old MIL tale!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:49 pm

The key thing is that each child is different. Yes, terry nappies might give your little one the feeling of being wet more than others with stay dry layers, but your child has to be ready to potty train.

The anecdotal evidence says boys potty train later than girls, but if you don't believe your child is ready then don't push it.

Would your MIL respond well to you saying your DS isn't ready yet and to stop asking at the moment?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:17 pm

They are all so different ! Izzy was 22 months and dry, Leon is nearly 3 and is pretty good except he will only pooh in a nappy !

I think any cloth nappy helps with feeling wetness tbh x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:28 pm

It's so tricky when mothers/ mil start nagging about stuff like that. It's just that kids had to be dry at a certain age in the past and probably because parents wanted their child out of nappies when they had terries and limited washing facilities ( inn talking my mum - yours could be younger ;) )
I think unfortunately it was seen as a sign of good parenting or something.
As everyone says they have to be ready. I always think there's no harm in getting a potty out in the bathroom and getting used to the idea of toilet and the language around it etc would that keep mil off your back?
I get the idea around terries etc but think that works for any nappy without a stay dry bit too.

Return to Potty Training