hf1

ready to take the plunge....advice please!

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

ready to take the plunge....advice please!

Postby rachyrach » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:09 am

Well, after a successful couple of months in the wonderful world of pocket nappies, I am ready to cut out that final disposable nappy and go cloth at night!

Can you suggest the best type for a nearly 11 month old light to moderate wetter who sometimes has an early morning turbo poo?

We use mostly of itti bittis, BBSS and BBOS and Greenkids all which fit lovely, but I didn't get on with my sized ss weenotions.

Any suggestions for fluff purchases, please?

Also, all this wool business seems exciting......can someone give me an idiots guide and suggestions for using wool as well and if I did use wool would I still be able to use sleeping bags?

Thanks, ladies!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: ready to take the plunge....advice please!

Postby flutterby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 am

I find swaddlebees OV, bumgenius, and night notions all great night nappies I use wool soakers under her vest, sleepsuit and grobag so I know that's fine, as for an idiots guide to wool I think I'll leave that down to someone else as I a bit of a novice myself!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:55 am

My DD is younger than your LO, but we use Bumhuggers, Swaddlebees OVOS, Baby Beehinds bamboo fleece OS and a Holden's Landing BedBug at night. The Bedbug is easily the prettiest nappy of our night stash, but I think I actually prefer the Bumhuggers of them all; they're fleece lined, so keep her nice and dry overnight. Iris can be a heavy wetter, so the new style EH's are perfect for her, as they can be stuffed with an Easy Peasy hemp to make a really absorbent nappy.

I've yet to take the plunge into wool at night (I'm scared! :lol: Once I've lanolised Iris' longies once more, I will try her in them overnight), but we use wool during the day. It's surprisingly easy to care for - just wash with olive soap, either towel roll or spin on a low setting in the washer to dry and lanolise as and when.Just air dry between uses to make sure your soaker/shorties/longies don't get too honky. The Pure Wool section has lots of info about caring for wool.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:34 pm

We use Bamboo Baby Beehinds, Night Notions or Swaddlebees OV onesize nappies on Ben which all last a good 12 hours. We use wool longies over the top with a t-shirt and sleeping bag and it works fine. The wool is fully lanolised now so I just let the longies air during the day and use them again. I only wash them about every 3 weeks unless they get soiled. To wash them I use olive soap in some warm water. To lanolise I use solid lanolin which I melt in the microwave with some water and a squirt of baby shampoo, just add this to the woollies and leave to soak overnight, then hang to dry - easy.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

If you're after a pocket for night-time then Standard Minki pockets have plenty of room for night-time stuffing and are very reliable at nights...

Other than that I use a variety of night-time fitteds with wool :)
Have a good look in the wool section for more tips...

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks, ladies for all your advice. I have 15 disposable nappies left, so I had better go browsing some nappy sites.....what a shame! :hohoho:

Like the look of the swaddlebees and babybehinds but can't find any coloured ones and the bumhuggers have some lovely patterns, oh dear. Will I have to buy one of each? What a shame.....!

Do the night notions fit the same as the WNSS as I couldn't get a good fit with that one?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 am

Aye - it's a real shame and I'm not sure why they've done it but babybeehinds have stopped selling the coloured ones! :shock:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 pm

rachyrach wrote:Thanks, ladies for all your advice. I have 15 disposable nappies left, so I had better go browsing some nappy sites.....what a shame! :hohoho:

Like the look of the swaddlebees and babybehinds but can't find any coloured ones and the bumhuggers have some lovely patterns, oh dear. Will I have to buy one of each? What a shame.....!

Do the night notions fit the same as the WNSS as I couldn't get a good fit with that one?

night notions I believe are same pattern as WN SS, so probably not the best bet for you!

I have a pink baby beehind used 3-4 times max, if your interested PM me! Swaddlebees I think are my favs!!!!!!

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 am

Well purchased one swadlebees, a bumhugger and a baby beehind as you all recommended and some very exciting news!

Had first night in cloth last night and was very successful! Am so pleased.... :wine:

Hannah wore butter swaddlebees OVOS with a preloved natural couche cover with sunshine embroidered on the bum and this morning was lovely and dry after 12 hours. Was so relieved as she had been waking up all night and I was worried it might be because she was wet but think it must have been teeth instead.

Hooray! Bye bye sposies....wheelie bin nappy count goes from 70 to 14 to 0 every fortnight! W'hey!

Tonight will try baby beehinds....

Next

Return to Night Nappies