hf1

Fleece pants trial is on!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Fleece pants trial is on!

Postby Louise » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Hope you find a combo that works for you! IMO if the fleece is leaking then the nappy underneath isn't absorbent enough. I only use wool but the same applies. Both fleece and wool work by absorbing the moisture and allowing some of it to evaporate. If the nappy itself can't cope with the amount of liquid then you will get compression wicking with fleece or wool whereas you would be fine with a PUL wrap. I have never been able to use a boosted nappy designed for day use overnight, only dedicated night nappies here!

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 pm

might be a silly suggestion but have you tried EC'ing him, don't worry i don't mean no nappy, but if you hold him over the loo with you sitting behind him, holding him under his thighs in a squat position before bed he may well do a huge wee. The same thing can be done once in the night by having a potty or large bowl or just popping him to the loo. My DS would pee/poop on the toilet pretty much every time at that age, and we only started when he was 5 months due to awful nappy rash. Worth a try and less hassle than changing wet sheets :wink:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 pm

@sim i'm not sure if I'm the right person to give advice, because I have some I have to shoe-horn lola into and others that look a bit like MC Hammer pants on her :giggle: I do think its probably got more to do with the nappy underneath. The outside of hers is never soaking or mostly never even damp. But when I have her is a disposable that is full to bursting in the morning and the ones she wears with that are the shoe-horn types

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 am

:thumbsup: it worked!! :yahoo:

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 am

Have you tried using 2 bamboo nappies underneath, and forgetting about trying to boost a single nappy? I know this works great under wool so can't see why it shouldn't under fleece. But going back your the earlier posts, putting a disposable under wool, or PUL under wool or fleece won't work at all, as the wet won't be able to dry out of through the waterproof layer. Also, I've found that double layers of fleece, wool or a mixture make matters worse, not better - a single layer of breathable fabric outside works best. If you use a sleeping bag, make sure it's open a bit, as it needs to breathe as fast as the wool or fleece underneath.

I did a thread a while ago about how wool works. I'll see if I can find it and bump it, but in a nutshell, here it is

Wool is absorbent, but absorbs very slowly. Because of the body heat of your baby, and the warmth of the wool, it also evaporates, and this happens at the same rate as it absorbs.
When evaporation takes place, the wet is turned into gasses. Most people think this will besteam, but in fact it's not. Steam is created when evaporated water condenses again, and this happens when the air containing the evaporated gasses, hits something cold, and there is enough wet in it to saturate the air. (This is called the dew point)
If you have a PUL wrap, the inside of the PUL will not let the wet get any further, so the amount of evaporated gasses builds up, and also because PUL has a cold feel, the saturated air will cause wet to condense again, and get absorbed back into the nappy. This doesn't happen with wool, because it is warm, and can breath, so "dew point" is never reached, and the gasses continue one their journey, unrestricted by the wool , baby clothes, bedding etc. It will finally condense possiby when it hits the window of your baby's room in winter, but basically the amount of wet in the air never gets high enough to cause a dew point.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Little Pants wrote:Have you tried using 2 bamboo nappies underneath, and forgetting about trying to boost a single nappy? I know this works great under wool so can't see why it shouldn't under fleece. But going back your the earlier posts, putting a disposable under wool, or PUL under wool or fleece won't work at all, as the wet won't be able to dry out of through the waterproof layer. Also, I've found that double layers of fleece, wool or a mixture make matters worse, not better - a single layer of breathable fabric outside works best. If you use a sleeping bag, make sure it's open a bit, as it needs to breathe as fast as the wool or fleece underneath.

I'm not 100% in agreement with this. I know if I put Lola in a disposable alone everything gets soaked. If I put her in a disposable and fleece then everything is dry. SO it does work.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:17 pm

What I mean is that wool/fleece work best by allowing the nappy underneath to dry out between sees. That way the nappy can last much longer. If you have PUL or a waterproof outer over the wet part of the nappy, it can't dry out underneath, so the nappy won't last any longer than it would normally. The fleece or wool may add a small extra barrier, but the wee can't dry out underneath IYSWIM, so you're not getting the extra advantage out of the wool or fleece cover

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Lots of flongies I've seen have an integral soaker so have a second layer?

PreviousNext

Return to Night Nappies