hf1

Talk to me about wool!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Talk to me about wool!

Postby Bumboleo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 am

Hi, I'm new here! :wave: And sort of new to cloth nappying, only been doing so for about 2 months.

DS is coming up to 4 months and having recently switched to formula, so much more fluid (I had supply issues) seems to mean he has turned in to a massive weer! We had a week of big nighttime leaks but had success with his size 1 bamboozle stetchy boosted with a junior joy basic booster. Was absolutely sodden in the morning (6am ish) but didn't leak! Motherease wrap I think.

Anyway, yesterday I stocked up on size 2 Bamboozle Stretchies, but then I heard about wool wraps!!!

Do they mean less boosting?
Aren't they boiling to wear?
Can they go over any nappy or do you need wool-compatible ones? Hope my new stretchies aren't a waste of money.
Where on earth can I get them? Never seen them on fill your pants or nappylady websites, for example.
If he is soaking through nappies now, what on earth is he going to be like as his bladder gets bigger??? :shock:
Is it a given that if you're using cloth nappies, you'll have to change them through the night, or should we be able to find a combo that sees him through 12 hours?

Can someone maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Talk to me about wool!

Postby clothmama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:22 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi and welcome!

Wool is awesome! Seriously I was worried about using it but it is really amazing!

Bumboleo wrote:Do they mean less boosting?

Wool allows some evaporation so your nappies won't feel as wet in the morning, I wouldn't say you need to boost less but it does help.

Bumboleo wrote:Aren't they boiling to wear?

No quite the opposite as the wool is natural and breathable so together with the evaporation it keeps baby at a nice temperature. I have used wool successfully in both the south of France and sub-tropical Queensland in Australia - obviously in a soaker or shorts not longies!

Bumboleo wrote:Can they go over any nappy or do you need wool-compatible ones? Hope my new stretchies aren't a waste of money.
Any nappy is fine!

Bumboleo wrote:Where on earth can I get them?

They dont' tend to be made / sold by main nappy sellers although there are a couple of exceptions - Disana make a wool wrap which is lovely, not sure who stocks them though, Baby Beehind were doing them as well but not sure if they still are or not. A lot of people make their own, you can do it very cheaply from an old woolen jumper - called a bum sweater - (it was how I started in wool), also crochet or knitted depending what you or your friend / mum / gran can do! A lot of us on here have got into wool crafts as a side of wanting to make them :giggle: . You can also buy them, Sara and Ali on here both make lovely wool:
http://www.clothnappytree.com/wahm-wond ... .php?u=932
http://www.clothnappytree.com/wahm-wond ... .php?u=476
Also check out the classifieds, there are often woolies to be found on there!
viewforum.php?f=58
Bumboleo wrote:If he is soaking through nappies now, what on earth is he going to be like as his bladder gets bigger??? :shock:
Is it a given that if you're using cloth nappies, you'll have to change them through the night, or should we be able to find a combo that sees him through 12 hours?

In my experience 4-6 months is the heaviest wetting period as that is when their milk consumption is at the highest before they start on solids so it often gets better until they are nearing potty training and hold on to a lot! You may find you need a dedicated night nappy if you are finding that what you are using is not working - you should not need to be changing overnight, I in fact find cloth better than disposables at night as you can adjust the absorbency just to your baby. Also don't forget bamboo needs a good few washes to get to full absorbency (I think it is 8 to maximum) so your new nappies will get better and better. Check out some other threads in this section or ask questions if you decide to get some dedicated night nappies.

I hope this has helped @bumboleo :widesmile:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:25 pm

I think Tory covered everything !

I think wool is best ever :) Leon was in wool from birth and still now at night x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 pm

You need to treat any wool cover with lanolin which is easy when you know how ;)

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Nothing to add, except that in my experience, I do need less boosting than if using with a wrap (which I try not to do as Percy doesn't sleep through if he's not wearing wool)

How big is your LO?
I might have something suitable you could try.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Oh wow thanks everyone, so helpful!! :D

DS was 12lb10 2 weeks ago so I should imagine he's around 13lb now. He is long though, long and slim (wish I could say the same about myself!).

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Percy is 7kg, but stocky and chunky @bumboleo, so I'll have a root through what he has recently grown out of. I think I have a couple of up cycled soakers.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello woolly friends!

I have another question - is it OK to put PJ bums/babygro over a wool wrap, or does that hinder the evaporation/make the PJs damp? Just wondering about babies' feet getting cold at night.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:31 am

You can yes, just make sure it isn't too tight, I don't but just put him in a sleeping bag and no cold feet yet!

Next

Return to Night Nappies