hf1

BumHuggers - again

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

BumHuggers - again

Postby tanya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:37 am

I know there have been a few posts about these recently.

My latest query is: What do you stuff yours with?

Bella wore one to bed last night. The fit is fab on her (phew!). I stuffed it with a cotton insert, a bamboo booster and it's fold-out flap thingy, and put an easy peasy hemp insert between the nappy and the wrap. I don't think I could have got any more in the pocket (seemed quite small?). All under her fleece wrap, cos I know it's bomb-proof and won't leak even if the nappy doesn't work too well. Oh, and the Couche covers were lanolising and I didn't want leakage all over my lovely shorties :hohoho: :hohoho:

When I took the nappy off this morning, everything was soaked. All the inserts, the entire nappy and the hemp between the nappy and the wrap. As predicted, it didn't go through the wrap, but the amount of evaporation (I think) made everything smell really strongly of wee. :shock: :shock:

Now, I think I need to put more inside the pocket. DO they usually fit much more than this? And what combo is good?

I'm so cr@p at night nappies, it's unbelievable!! :oops: :oops:

Last thing: These aren't the only nappy I have for night. Most of the time we will be using Quick Flips, which are fab at containing her mega-wees. They're just a tad complicated for the Grandmothers to cope with. Both my mum and MIL looked in horror at the complexity of Bella's night nappy, so I'm hoping the BumHugger might offer a more simple alternative.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Tanya

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: BumHuggers - again

Postby babyroo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:50 am

I'm not really sure about bumhuggers as I've never used one, but could you swap the cotton insert for a hemp or two as that will be slimmer?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:54 am

Do you think the bamboo would provide enough quick absorbing material? I only put cotton adn bamboo in so the wee gets absorbed quickly and it doesn't all gush out of the nappy.

They are lovely nappies.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:58 am

With my weenotions (where the boosters are all hemp) I usually only have the cotton/bamboo velour inner and maybe another bamboo booster on top and they are fine.

Or you could swap the cotton for another bamboo?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:02 am

I stuff mine with a bamboo terry square folded in a similar way to the jo fold and an EH hemp insert which folds in half lengthways so 4 layers of hemp. I only use it in emergencies when I've run out of ohter night nappies though as the fit isn't great.

Louise x

My avatar
Claire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Claire » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:56 am

I think I must have a really light wetter? I just put in an mf cloth. I do find the pocket quite narrow, so I have to fold the cloth in half then half again. For us, that is enough to go 12 hours easily. Are your bumhuggers new or pre-loved? Just wondering how many times they have been washed? It took mine ages to work up to full absorbancy, at first I wasn't keen on them but love them now.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:26 pm

This one's pre-loved. It's the new style, but I think it should be up to full absorbancy.

Bella is a very heavy wetter though. Some nights are worse than others. Depends how much she drinks just before bed.

She's taken a liking to having a drink (from a cup, I might add!) whilst in the bath. We have to give it to her, or she tries to drink the bath water :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Think I'll replace the cotton with either bamboo or hemp next time I use it.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 pm

I put two bamboo boosters in with Ben's bumhugger new style - 1 is 4 layer, the other is 3 layers, plus the attached flap, so I guess that is quite a lot of layers too!

Next

Return to Night Nappies