hf1

Is DD a heavy wetter?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Is DD a heavy wetter?

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 pm

I've been putting Iris in cloth nappies since she was a week old, but we're still working out what's best for night time. She goes to bed at 9 pm and tends to wake up for a feed between 2 and 3 am. She falls straight back to sleep after her midnight snack and then sleeps until hubbie's alarm goes off at 6 am. I've bought three nappies specifically for night use - a Swaddlebees OVOS, a Baby Beehinds bamboo fleece one-size and an old-style EH Bumhugger. I've been trying to persevere with using a fleece wrap with each of these nappies, but we're continuing to have compression wicking issues. :( I do plan to get Iris in wool ASAP; I'm just waiting for her to grow into a medium-size wrap, rather than buy a small one that won't last much longer. In the meantime, I'm going to have to stick her in a PUL wrap, as I'm fed up of her feeling damp. So, after all that background waffle, onto my queries!

Is Iris a heavy wetter? For example, the Swaddlebees is being used with both the removable boosters, but when she wakes during the night (after perhaps 5 or 6 hours) it's wet through - is that normal for an 11-week-old?

How long should any of the nappies I have last? Am I expecting too much by thinking that they should last longer than 5/6 hours?

I suppose I need to think about additional boosting - any suggestions as to what to try?

Will I continue to have compression wicking issues with wool?

Any help would be much appreciated. Night nappies are complicated! :?

Thanks,
Nichola

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Is DD a heavy wetter?

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Hard to say really...

I didn't stop changing Isabelle at night until around 5-6months as she usually poo-d in the middle of the night before that...

What do you put over the fleece wraps - do you do up her vest over them?

Trouble is we were in disps and prefolds at that age so I'm not a very good person to advise!

Trouble with PUL wraps I found was they leaked for us as we got condensation inside which ran out of the legs!! :? :shock: I know other people have them work well though...

Hope someone else can answer!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:18 pm

The baby beehinds and the bumhugger should be fine overnight. Maybe you need to add a booster. I never had much success with swaddlebees overnight though. I used old style EH bumhuggers and Babeco bamboo nappies boosted with one small bamboo/hemp insert when Katie was the same age. We either used fleece or wool over the top although I did sometimes use PUL.

HTH

Louise

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:28 pm

For Ben I use both the Swaddlebees OV and Baby Beehinds on him for night time. I cover them in pul at the moment, although have now lanolised my new woollies so he will be trying them tomorrow. Anyway, he goes to bed at 7pm and then feeds at 12, 3 and 5 at the moment, I don't change him as he has never pooed in the night so I don't want to disturb him by changing his nappy and these nappies, despite the extra feeds last him 7-7, although they are sodden so I am hoping the wool will help with that - saying that though it doesn't leak and doesn't seem to bother him and his skin has never had any signs of redness so they are working well.

You might find when she drops the night feed that she wees less but I have never really got on with fleece wraps when I have tried them as they always left damp patches so hopefully you will find wool better.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:02 am

Thanks for your input all. :)

At the moment, Iris is just sleeping in a babygrow without a vest, so I don’t think the compression wicking is because there’s anything too tight fastened over the nappy? Still, the PUL wrap is going well so far – her skin doesn’t seem affected, which is what I was worried might happen. I guess we just don't get on with fleece.

I think my favourite night options are the Baby Beehinds and the Bumhugger. I’ll try boosting the Swaddlebees with a bamboo/hemp insert though and see if that makes a difference. I’ll definitely get her a wool wrap too and hope that helps with her being less sodden.

And I’m definitely looking forwards to her dropping the night feed! Although I should count myself very lucky that she sleeps as well as she does, considering her age. But I’d not thought about that, Annette – I do hope that means she’ll wee less.

Thanks again.

Return to Night Nappies