Why do you do what you do?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Why do you do what you do?

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Sorry for the odd title lol!

For those of you who make nappies, make skin care products, knit or have other WAHM shops, how did you get into your business? did you always knit or sew, or wanted organic massage oils etc? and what made you take the plunge to being a WAHM? were there any surprises or difficulties along the way? and are you happy with the way your business is going?

just being nosey :D i love to hear people's stories!!

Gayle xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Why do you do what you do?

Postby flutterby » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:43 am

I did a fashion BTEC when I left school so I had pattern cutting a sewing skills, I always wanted to do something creative, but didn't really have the drive to do it, I started dyeing odd nappies as they were boring, and ended up dyeing a few bits for other people, and it kind of escalated from there, especially with the end of my maternity leave looming I wanted to dive right in as soon as I knew what I wanted to do, so I knew where I stood with returning to work, unfortunately I haven't managed to get as much done as I would have liked with my fabric dissapearing and limited funds availible to buy in bulk, but I'm getting there slowly, and I certainly have plenty of interest, it's certainly alot more work than I expected, but I enjoy it so I don't mind! If your thinking about being a WAHM I say go for it, there's nothing better than being able to do something you love in the comfort of your own home and earn a bit of money whilst doing it!

I'm sure my story will be alot more interesting in a year or so, and I'm sure I will come to lots more bumps in the road, but I definately think it's worth it, as long as your ok with late nights, I'm not even half way through this evenings sewing yet :|

My avatar
nikkib
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby nikkib » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:03 am

I've been knitting for years, mainly things for myself or for friends though, it wasn't until I had my daughter and found the wonders of wool covers that I started making them for her and thought I may as well try and sell a few things as well. I don't sell many items, but about enough to keep buying myself more wool - which is all I really need it to do at the moment. I don't expect it to be a big money maker, but it keeps me busy as I can't have an actual job at the moment due to health issues (I have ME). So the knitting is my way of making a few pennies to keep myself knitting because I enjoy it so much!!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:14 am

I do it because I enjoy it. I've always knitted and sewed and when Harriet came along I decided to try my hand at making nappies. Initially I just made them for Harriet but then I decided to ask others to test them and the rest is history. I don't make loads of money from it but anything I do make goes straight into Harriets Trust Fund. As soon as it becomes a chore I will stop doing it.

My avatar
BibsnBots
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BibsnBots » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I always wanted to run my own business and I had no idea in what.

I love nappies so much and I can't sew and I don't know anyone in real life who uses cloth so thats why I started out..educational and a reason to buy fluff and it not cost me a fortune...so to speak.

After I had my 4th baby I decided I should go for it. Im now venturing into a bit of skincare as well and I have just started doing my own lanolin as I am getting naffed off with paying extortionate exchange rates, extortionate shipping costs AND extortionate custom fees...lol.

Im now working on scented versions too...lol I think I must like being busy.

Its a lot harder work than I ever expected it to be... most evenings are spent sat at the computer plugging myself wherever I can for free. OR spent sourcing new stock or refining my site. Or chatting to other WAHMs swapping ideas.

I love it and wouldn't change it for the world now...

If your thinking about going into WAHMing I would say do it. :D

My avatar
bobbydazzlers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bobbydazzlers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 pm

I have always been creative since as long as I can remember...making stuff for my parents as a child, cross stitch, knitting (my mum taught me to knit when I was 7) the only O level I got at school was art! I always have to be "doing something"
I had my first 3 kids and was a sahm, a very bored single parent sahm! So I enrolled to do cake decorating classes...became fully qualified and set up my own business when my then youngest was in nursery. I had been trading for just over a year when I met and married my DH in the space of 6 months! lol...then Edward came along..he was a very colicy baby and demanded a whole heap of attention. I was trying to juggle making wedding cakes and a screaming baby at stupid hours in the morning..there was more icing sugar on Eddie than on the cakes...so I thought enough of this. I gave up the cake business...had another baby ..then 2 yrs later the boredom set in again! Que setting up a WAHM store which is where I am at now! I love it, its like starting afresh with all the experience of running a business I had before and without the pressure...well not much anyway! I still make myself deadlines to have things made by..but Its not like they HAVE to be done for such a date so I dont ruin someones wedding IYSWIM
I dont make a lot of money...but I am not in it for the money..just enough to buy my kids treats and to satisfy my wool addiction! lol

gawd...what a ramble!

My avatar
madcatlady
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby madcatlady » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 pm

ooh, what a great topic :D

I've always been a maker, ever since I was a little girl, I used to knit and sew clothes for my dolls and bears, and made mittens for all the babies in the family. When I had my older boys I made all their little cardigans, hats and booties myself, but it wasn't until I had Edward and learnt about Wool nappy covers that I learnt how to make them myself.

Over the last couple of years I've gotten more and more passionate about natural wool as a material, and have developed my own patterns for longies, shorties, skirties etc :)

I do what I do for the love of it, for the joy of creating, for the passion of working with materials that are kind to the environment, and for the fulfillment of seeing things I've poured time and love into on your beloved children >:D<

As an aside, the money it gives me (which is very little) fuels my yarn addiction, which in turn helps keep other UK WaHMs, such as Babylonglegs and JimmyRiddles, in business.

Julie x

Return to Wahm grapevine