hf1

When's a WAHM not a WAHM?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

When's a WAHM not a WAHM?

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Was thinking about this earlier and was wondering what people's opinions are about it....

...many WAHM's start off small but grow very quickly and move on business wise, becomming LTD companies, working from rented units/premises, employing staff, outsourcing work etc.

I'm curious to find out when people think the WAHM bit stops and a business proper starts? I suppose by definition it would be once you'd stop working from your home and start working in another premisis/workshop etc...what does everyone else think?

Maybe we should come up with a new title? WOHM?? Work Outside Home Mum lol?!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: When's a WAHM not a WAHM?

Postby Shevi » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 pm

when it grows so much that none of it runs from your home and if the wahm herself didn't do anything for a few days / a week / whatever it would still run smoothly as there are enough others actually running the bussiness.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Hmm I don't really know - as small business which belong to women that they work at and perhaps employ one assistant and work at home, but not have any kids are "working".

I 'assume' WAHM is a title where the mum is making everything herself and is directly responsible for everything in their home and business.

Perhaps bigger than just one person isn't a WAHM :-?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 pm

What if both (or more) of the people involved are mums and working out of their own home though? Does that still count lol?

Shevi wrote:when it grows so much that none of it runs from your home and if the wahm herself didn't do anything for a few days / a week / whatever it would still run smoothly as there are enough others actually running the bussiness.

I think I agree with that.....if things can operate without the Mum or the home bit I guess thats no longer WAHM.

My brain keeps going round and round lol!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:13 pm

i would say if your main place of work is not in your own home then you are not a WAHM because you are then going out to work presumably leaving your kids with someone else just like us employed mums :-?

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:17 pm

charliesam wrote:i would say if your main place of work is not in your own home then you are not a WAHM because you are then going out to work presumably leaving your kids with someone else just like us employed mums :-?

yes that sounds like it to me too :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:21 pm

nicola g wrote:
charliesam wrote:i would say if your main place of work is not in your own home then you are not a WAHM because you are then going out to work presumably leaving your kids with someone else just like us employed mums :-?

yes that sounds like it to me too :D

Yep I agree with that too.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Gggrrrr.....posted a reply but it didn't show up! lol

Louise wrote:
nicola g wrote:

I agree with this too but then it makes me think.....what if your main place of work *is* your home but you leave your children in childcare, does that still qualify as a WAHM?!

Can you tell I'm bored this evening?! lol!

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:40 pm

For me WAHM means a small business with a few people (prob no more than 4) who are parents working out of one of their homes. If business gets bigger & they start working from a unit outside the home then technically they are no longer a WAHM business as the home is no longer the place of work & it's no different to owning your own shop.

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine