When's a WAHM not a WAHM?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: When's a WAHM not a WAHM?

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Liking your definition Sarah lol!

So would you be annoyed or indifferent if someone called themselves a WAHM when they weren't (for some of the reasons we've all mentioned). I like to buy things from other WAHM's and I'd always rather find a WAHM who can sell me/make for me what I'm after than go to a general shop for whatever I needed. I think I'd feel a little annoyed if I found out the WAHM things I *thought* I was buying weren't really WAHMmy lol!

Ok I'm rambling now.....tired and too much coffee :giggle:

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:58 pm

angelsquidge wrote:Liking your definition Sarah lol!

So would you be annoyed or indifferent if someone called themselves a WAHM when they weren't (for some of the reasons we've all mentioned). I like to buy things from other WAHM's and I'd always rather find a WAHM who can sell me/make for me what I'm after than go to a general shop for whatever I needed. I think I'd feel a little annoyed if I found out the WAHM things I *thought* I was buying weren't really WAHMmy lol!

Ok I'm rambling now.....tired and too much coffee :giggle:

I wouldn't be too upset if they were still a small business that had started as a WAHM but been very successful & no longer able to continue running business at home due to space etc. I like to see the people who "own/run" the business to make the products, as this is the concept of WAHM rather than start employing loads of others to do it for them.

If they had never been a WAHM business but claimed they were then I guess i would be upset as it is misleading. I like to support our WAHM's & I like the individualilty & personal touch that goes into making the products rather than being mass produced.

Better stop drinking the coffee Amber it will keep you up all night :)

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:04 pm

pookie3101 wrote:
Better stop drinking the coffee Amber it will keep you up all night :)

lmao!

Yes I think I should stop now before my brain starts thinking of those impossible, circular problems that age you 20 years in 3 hours lol!

Hm.....no, claiming to be a WAHM when you weren't and never were wouldn't be right, or fair to all the very hard working WAHM's out there.

I wonder how many bigger business out there started out as WAHMs? It's amazing to think that what started as something small in someones spare room can end up a massive, international business :D

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Marks & Spencers was just a market stall wasn't it & now it's global. Who knows where some of our WAHM business will end up. i like to see our WAHM's being kept busy & growing. Although it's a pain to have to wait for something, as I want everything yesterday, I like the fact that someone has lots of orders.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:15 pm

M&S was a market stall? I never knew that! How fab!

Think I'll have to put a lot more hours in then to get to THAT sort of size heehee!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 pm

angelsquidge wrote: I wonder how many bigger business out there started out as WAHMs? It's amazing to think that what started as something small in someones spare room can end up a massive, international business :D

I agree, I think that's how Itti Bitti started out. I'd be happy buying from a small business that started out as a WAHM one too.

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 pm

That would be a lot of cloth nappy (and other product) making. OOhh I'd love to see fantastic nappies in a fab shop on every high street but I would be so poor. My dh wouldn't let me out the house :hohoho: Saying that I like the fact that there aren't loads of babies in the same nappy as Anna.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Ooh yes I'd like to see that too.....loads of really cute nappies and matching clothes and smellies etc.

Yum lol!

I think a lot of us would get locked in by our other halves if that did happen though :hohoho:

My avatar
MBJ
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby MBJ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow what a lot to read through...

i will only buy from wahm - and say if a wahm went from not working from home and a unit and it would still not stop me from buying from them - for some reason they had to move to a unit - now im sure alot of the nappy wahm must have very little space when it comes to fabric..... and when there is alot of it. i no i dont carry much fabric but its in a huge box on my landding!

its nice to see so many WAHMs doing well and i do not think it matters were they work from if the product is still 100% and meets your needs.

i do know of a well known wahm that has moved to a unit - but this has not stopped me from buying from them and i dont think many will stop buying from them

i class my self as a work at home mum - now please tell me if i shouldnt but i was made redundent at xmas but every 6 months i get about 6 weeks contract work with old company. now its 8 hours a week for 6 weeks but as money is very tight i take the 6 weeks worth of work just to see us over as you all know WAHMs do not make much money well i no i dont! but i still keep up wth making all my stuff from home while diong these 8 hours. and its only me that makes all my proudcts. DH helps wth fabric cutting im left handed and cut very strange!

Right iv had a drink and this makes no sence what so ever sorry x

PreviousNext

Return to Wahm grapevine