hf1

Applique Suggestions? What would you like....?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Applique Suggestions? What would you like....?

Postby anya1973 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm hoping to do some sewing once the kids are back at school. :D

What I'm thinking of is appliqued t-shirts. I have a few ideas but wondered if anyone could help me with a list of shapes/animals etc to applique?

So far I have come up with the following:

Star
Flower
Strawberry
Dinosaur
Butterfly
Skull & Crossbones

erm.....I'm sure there were more I'm just rubbish at remembering things. :roll: :lol:

So, what would you like appliqued on a t-shirt/vest top?

What colours do you like? For the t-shirt and/or the applique?

What sizes are bestsellers? My son is 16 months and wears 18-24 month t-shirts and tops. Would smaller ones be worth doing too?

How much would you be prepared to pay? :wink:

I need some feedback before I start. :)

Any other clothing that I could do? Am thinking of doing t-shirts and sleeveless t-shirts so far. Could do longsleeved tops as well? Any other ideas?

Thank you for letting me pick your brains. :wink: :wine:

Helen :D

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Applique Suggestions? What would you like....?

Postby cherobanne » Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 pm

If it were me buying for my two I'd like:

Boy colours - reds, greens
Appliques - creatures like frogs, geckos, lizards

Girl colours - pinks, reds, lemon-y yellow
Appliques - like your ideas, also would love cupcakes!

Sizes - personally I'd only buy special tops like that from 12 months up - I think they grow out of them too quickly before a year old.

Cost - again, for me personally it would need to be something I'd really fallen in love with for me to spend more than £10 on a child's top

Clothing types - I'd be most likely to buy a long sleeved top - with the weather here it would definitely get the most use. I'd consider a short sleeved t shirt if I really liked it, but wouldn't buy sleeveless - I just don't think it would get any wear.

All the best with your new venture! Looking forward to seeing what you produce :D

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 pm

cherobanne wrote:If it were me buying for my two I'd like:

Boy colours - reds, greens
Appliques - creatures like frogs, geckos, lizards

Girl colours - pinks, reds, lemon-y yellow
Appliques - like your ideas, also would love cupcakes!

Sizes - personally I'd only buy special tops like that from 12 months up - I think they grow out of them too quickly before a year old.

Cost - again, for me personally it would need to be something I'd really fallen in love with for me to spend more than £10 on a child's top

Clothing types - I'd be most likely to buy a long sleeved top - with the weather here it would definitely get the most use. I'd consider a short sleeved t shirt if I really liked it, but wouldn't buy sleeveless - I just don't think it would get any wear.

All the best with your new venture! Looking forward to seeing what you produce :D

Thanks for your reply. :D :D

It really helps to get an idea about what others like. I think I agree with you about tops from 12-18 months upwards. Their growth seems to slow down somewhat once they get to that age.

I was thinking they'd probably be under £10. I too won't spend extortionate amounts on clothing even if it is WAHM made.

I'm thinking of keeping it all quite simple. So t-shirts/tops for everyday wear.

A few more questions for you. :wink:

What sort of fabrics do you like? Would you like say floral patterns for girls? Erm.....stripes? Plain colours? If I give you an example....I have some lovely butterfly print fabric - would it look strange if I used it to make a butterfly applique? Would it be overkill? Or would say a floral butterfly look better?

Decisions, decisions! :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for your input.

Helen xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Anyone else? :wink:

Help! I need to know what people like. :wink:

My daughter was never girly girly so we never did the pink thing. :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 pm

I like the idea of appliqued birds, caterpillars, love contemporary Japanese-style prints so maybe china dolls or something similar? Also love snails, trees, etc etc.

I like bold colours and prints so cerise and magenta stripes, or hot pink and purple etc. Normal max for a top would be £10 unless it was very special!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 pm

I love girly colours but also bold bright colours probably plain rather than striped if they were going to have appliques on them!

Appliques - love all the suggested plus other girly ones like fairys?

Size wise i would always go for bigger - for us it would be 18-24mths at the moment

Clothing type - we mainly use Long-sleeve tops up here because of the whether but would also get a little use from short sleeve but would never use vests.

Cost - again wouldn't buy a top over £10 at this age

Would love tops to match some woollies, could you offer perhaps a service for that :-?

hth

and good luck :D

ETA Forgot to say i like the sound of the print fabric for the applique too, i think it would look great on a plain top :wink:

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

anya1973 wrote:
What sort of fabrics do you like? Would you like say floral patterns for girls? Erm.....stripes? Plain colours? If I give you an example....I have some lovely butterfly print fabric - would it look strange if I used it to make a butterfly applique? Would it be overkill? Or would say a floral butterfly look better?

I like the idea of floral fabric flowers and butterfly print fabric butterflies!
Agree with Julie that plain coloured tops would be best.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu May 28, 2009 9:05 am

Letters - such as a K for Kayleigh.

We have some appliqued vests (for under shirts) but for those I think you would need really simple shapes with nice fabric in order to keep the costs down.
I like the doll appliques you can get (but haven't got around to ordering anything like this yet) like this.
http://www.ozebaby.com.au/product.php?VP=16197
and I'm also quite a fan of elly & rory
http://www.ozebaby.com.au/product.php?VP=14342#pict

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks, girls. :wink:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, have had a miserable teething, ill Cole the last week or so. :roll:

Will update with my ideas as soon as I can.

thanks again.

Helen xx

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine